Safbrew T-58 stopped fermenting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slymaster

Reaction score
I've been making a belgian strong brown beer. OG was at 1.088, pitched the yeast at 70 degrees, started to ferment strongly on the first day and continued for a few days.

Gravity was down at 1.060 after day 1, 1.040 after day 2, 1.036 after day 3 at a constant 70 degrees. Everything seemed fine, smelled like banana a lot. There was tiny spots of foam on top of the wort and when I checked gravity, tiny bubbles were present as expected.

Then I started heating the house BUT didn't know that the chimney was going behind the closet where I had my primary. Temperature rose over 75 on day 4, gravity was still at 1.036 and didn't seem to have a lot of yeast activity anymore. When I saw that, I moved the primary to a chiller place (around 65 degrees) and let it sit.

It's been 2 days and a half and gravity didn't move. Still at 1.036. The wort's surface is completely flat with no apparent trace of yeast activity. Still smells good, still tastes good but it doesn't move.

Questions:
Did I kill the yeast by a sudden temp change?
Should I put more yeast or let it sit a bit?

The gravity has gone from 1,036 to 1,0345-ish in around 10 days. My target is 1,020.

Should I add some yeast at this point?

T-58 has a tendency to stall out and then magically restart fermentation. My rye ale stalled at 1.020 for a week, then ramped-up to finish at 1.008.

Back