safale us-05

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meadsupporter

Reaction score
safale us-05:

OK so I've never really used a dry yeast before, but I thought I would give it a shot.

I will be doing an amber ale with this yeast and was wondering what tempature would be proper for the ale.

I was thinking 65-66 F; your thoughts?

I've used it a few times before and I'm using it on an APA now. It should ferment nice and clean at those temperatures and it flocculates out very nicely. I'd say you should be good to go.

The sweet spot is around 60-63. Super clean, but still able to do its thing in a timely manner at these temps.

dont mean to high jack here but do u think this would work in an ambient temp of 55?

That's a bit low. It ferments well down to 62 for me but I don't go much colder than that. Fermentis says it will go down to 59 though.

OP - 65/64 ambient will work. Keep in mind that fermentation generates heat so your actual wort could easily get up to 70 at 65 ambient.

i shoot for 62/63 ambient in my chamber during the vigorous part of my primary, the internal temp is usually between 66-68 for me which has worked out great for me. Great yeast too! Its my go to for almost all american ales.

Latest posts

Back