Safale US-05

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monkey55

Reaction score
Hey,

I just picked up a packet of Safale US-05 and the back says, "Final Gravity: low to medium."

What does mean? Medium to high abv beers? Does that mean that the yeast will eat up most of the fermentables?

Thanks
E

S-05, in my experience dries beers out pretty well. It's great for drier ales like IPA and APA. I usually get ~ 80% attenuation from it. Ex: 1.050SG down to 1.010FG.

Just dont pitch it at a high temp like above 70 you may get fruit.

My favorite yeast!

It likes cooler fermentation temps (62 deg is nice), if you want a really clean tasting beer.
Attenuation will be in the 80% arena. Perfect for normal gravity beers where you desire a dry crisp finish.

Like others have said, it's a great all-purpose yeast for many beer styles. Ferment it on the cool side and you'll definitely get a very crisp, clean, and slightly dry finish. I like to use it in a lot of pale ales if I'm not looking for any yeast character. Usually finishes with 80% attenuation give or take a few points.

Thanks for the info!!!!!

I'm trying to learn something new everyday.. Ok, well not everyday.. just something new about homebrewing.. :D

E

Back