safale US-05 is it top fermenting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewdownunder

Reaction score
Forgive my inexperience but i did my first ale today and pitched the Safale US-05 yeast straight in seems to have all settled to a half inch of white sludge on the bottom of the fermenter, same as all the lagers and pilseners ive done using S23 and W34/70. I was under the impression this was a top fermenting yeast?

As far as "top" and "bottom" fermentation goes, I think the whole distinction is a huge misnomer. Both ale and lager yeast ferment in the beer, and both form a kraeusen and a yeast cake. The difference is in what metabolic abilities lager strains exhibit over their ale cousins, and their temperature preferences.

US-05 is an ale yeast, no question about that.

In my experiences, US-05 (and sometime S-04) can flocculate very fast. I've have had the krausen form and fall with in the first 72 hours, sometimes within 24hrs. A very white yeast cake is vindictive of US-05. Check to see if there is a residue ring around the top of the fermenting beer.

I have a batch fermenting with S-05 right now (AG Arrogant Bastard), since last Thursday @ 64 degrees, still bubbling away. I have found with this yeast it will have a compact layer at the bottom and a 1/2" - 1" Krausen ring left in the fermenter. Its a great yeast for ales. For some reason Notty seems to have lost it's punch since the new packaging came out, so S-04 or S-05 are going to be my go to yeasts for now.

Based on your timeline, the yeast hasn't woken up yet. Relax, give it the requisite "24 to 72 hours" before panic sets in. I'm betting that well before then, the yeast will rehydrate itself, wake up and smell the sugar, and get to work.

No worries!

That's why I at least re-hydrate my dry yeast,even adding 1-2tsp of dextrose just to get them going harder. Works better for me.

to answer your question:
yes, S-05 is a top fermenting ale yeast, just don't get hung up on words like "top".

Thanks guys, i keep forgetting patience is a virtue in home brewing. Whithin 24 hrs a thick krausen formed on top and the brew started bubbling like mad, i just dry hopped 30g of galaxy with a little luck i might have something that tastes within reach of a LCPA ?

Back