Safale US-05 Expires in two months

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhembro13

Reaction score
I have two dry yeast packs (US-05). One will expire in end of June. Other is good for year and half. I was planing on making a low gravity pale ale (OG of 1.045) in the next few weeks. Would the dry yeast that expires in end of June be OK? Or should I just go ahead and use the newer yeast? Don’t want to waste yeast but also don’t want to ruin a batch if the yeast is too old. Either way, I plan on rehydrating the dry yeast prior to pitching to the pale ale batch.

I have two dry yeast packs (US-05). One will expire in end of June. Other is good for year and half. I was planing on making a low gravity pale ale (OG of 1.045) in the next few weeks. Would the dry yeast that expires in end of June be OK? Or should I just go ahead and use the newer yeast? Don’t want to waste yeast but also don’t want to ruin a batch if the yeast is too old. Either way, I plan on rehydrating the dry yeast prior to pitching to the pale ale batch.

I believe if you read the back of the packet you'll find the date is a "best before" date, not an expiration date.

If the packet has been well-stored, i.e., in the refrigerator or freezer, then use it. Make sure you rehydrate it properly and you should be good to go.

I believe if you read the back of the packet you'll find the date is a "best before" date, not an expiration date.

If the packet has been well-stored, i.e., in the refrigerator or freezer, then use it. Make sure you rehydrate it properly and you should be good to go.

That is great news. Thank you. I didn’t realize it was best before date. It has been stored in the fridge ever since I bought the yeast. Will give it a shot

Dry yeast is incredibly hardy and I think that it is estimated that it loses about 1 or 2% viability....per year. Bread yeast is left unrefrigerated on the store shelves for who knows how long. It works fine. I buy bulk and freeze it. Never fails to take off. There is a requirement that every "food" item has a best by date. It doesn't mean that it will be bad after that date.

Back