Safale US-05 Attenuation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BNVince

Reaction score
Does anybody know the attenuation on Safale US-05? I just brewed 2 batches using this yeast and I'm trying to figure out what my expected F.G. will be. I can't find a damn thing about this yeast on the internet.

Thanks.

I just got an apparent 86% from Safale US-05!
I mashed at 149ºF.
This is an IPA, and I went from an OG of 1.061 to an FG of 1.006.
According to Beer Alchemy that's 86.9%, and 7.1% ABV.
That's actually a bit more than I was counting on. This is proabably going to be a bit dry.

The last batch I brewed I split 12 gal between 2 fermenters. One had safale-05 in it and the other some harvested bells yeast.

Both started at 1.062
The s-05 ended at 1.008 (86.4% apparent attenuation)
The bells yeast ended at 1.012 (79.7% apparant attenuation)

My mash temp was 152. I was expecting/hoping both to finish around 1.014, I'll have to compare the tastes after some proper aging

I mashed at 149ºF.
That's actually a bit more than I was counting on. This is proabably going to be a bit dry.

Don't you hate when that happen. One of my first AG's was a Arrogant Bastard clone that I foolishly mashed at 150 and went from 1.090-1.006. So I had 11.25% bitter hop juice. I ended up brewing another batch mashed at 159 and blended together and it was pretty good.

I just did 2 batches with 05.

First one (fresh rehydrated packet) went from 1.056 to 1.010
Second (pitched on the cake from #1) started at 1.076 and is sitting at 1.016 after 10 days.

I have been happy with it.

I gotta add that I was really concerned about this yeast and clarity in my IPA. It stirred up super easy in the pail when I racked it to the bottling bucket, and I figured it was going to suck after bottle conditioning.

I couldn't have been more wrong. I'm really impressed with the US-05 in both the flavor and it's ability to really stick to the bottom of the bottle after conditioning. I haven't even had this IPA in glass for a full 3 weeks, but it's pouring almost all the way to the bottom of the bottle crystal clear, with less than a 1/8" left behind.

Fermentis, I stand corrected, and I should not have doubted your product.

Now I just gotta stock up on both Notty and this US-05 and do a double batch day, for comparison. It's gonna be tough, as I am really pleased with both...

How fast have you all found US-05 to be? Most of my experience in brewing has been with liquid strains that can take a while. Wyeast 1338, White Labs 550, etc.

I have a batch that is one day 4 with US-05 and it already seems to be mellowing out. The High Krausen has started to mellow, and lots of sediment is dropping to the bottom of the carboy.

The OG was 1.044 and the fermentation temp is a constant 68. I don't plan to take a hydrometer reading until day 7, but it sure appears as if the bulk of the primary fermentation is already done. Is that possible?

It might be because of a higher pitching rate (no starters for me), but I've never had a batch with US-05 take more than about 10-14 days to be completely fermented and settled.

In regard to the attenuation, on a batch of Haus Pale Ale I got 92% apparant attenuation. It had a long, thin mash though so it's not completely unexpected.

How fast have you all found US-05 to be? Most of my experience in brewing has been with liquid strains that can take a while. Wyeast 1338, White Labs 550, etc.

I have a batch that is one day 4 with US-05 and it already seems to be mellowing out. The High Krausen has started to mellow, and lots of sediment is dropping to the bottom of the carboy.

The OG was 1.044 and the fermentation temp is a constant 68. I don't plan to take a hydrometer reading until day 7, but it sure appears as if the bulk of the primary fermentation is already done. Is that possible?

US-05 has always been very fast for me. Usually no more than about 4 days until the krausen starts settling out. I split a batch of APA between US-05 and S-04. The US-05 was about a day faster, however both were very fast, and I enjoy using both of them. I also recently brewed a Hefeweizen with Wyeast 3068. It took a full week before the krausen started settling down.

You know, i just dumped 5gals of IPA last night that i used US-05 on (wasn't going to drink 5 gals of bitterly dry beer). Went from 1.070 to 1.005, 90%+ attenuation, mashed at 150 for an hour. Figured it was wild yeast helped but now, maybe not.

That's sad - time and patience are your friend!

You know, i just dumped 5gals of IPA last night that i used US-05 on (wasn't going to drink 5 gals of bitterly dry beer). Went from 1.070 to 1.005, 90%+ attenuation, mashed at 150 for an hour. Figured it was wild yeast helped but now, maybe not.

All in all, with the number of different attenuation percents of this yeast it makes me wonder about the QC of US-05.

You mashed at 150* though. I mashed at 149-150 with a RIS and used WLP002 which averages 67% ettenuation but I got 79% out of it since I mashed so low and created a lot of fermentable sugar.

So what do you like to ferment US-05 at temperature wise?

The package says 59-7?

I am trying to do a Dead Guy Clone and didn't have success with harvesting pacman so I am trying to ferment US-05 at 60* but it doesn't seem like it does much until it is at 62*

I mashed at 149ºF.

I too got an 86% attenuation on my IIPA after mashing at 150. If you are looking for a little residual sweetness I would suggest a higher mash temp.

So what do you like to ferment US-05 at temperature wise?

The package says 59-7?

I am trying to do a Dead Guy Clone and didn't have success with harvesting pacman so I am trying to ferment US-05 at 60* but it doesn't seem like it does much until it is at 62*

I've found the same thing. 62 is about as low as I go with it, and more usually 64-66. I have had a couple batches get to the 68-69 range and didn't seem to be affected, so I think it's pretty forgiving. I've used US-05 in probably 80% of my brews to date, it's by far my favorite.

My first two batches of Dead Guy were done with US-05 and they came out great.

I've found the same thing. 62 is about as low as I go with it, and more usually 64-66. I have had a couple batches get to the 68-69 range and didn't seem to be affected, so I think it's pretty forgiving. I've used US-05 in probably 80% of my brews to date, it's by far my favorite.

My first two batches of Dead Guy were done with US-05 and they came out great.

Thanks for the great info. Yeah it is very apparent below 62*, I woke up to it bubbling away at 62.5* this morning so I threw some ice in my cooler to cool it down, but the bubbles stopped immediately and that is when I realized what was happening. I am going to shoot for 62-63* now

I got an 80% apparent attenuation on a 1.114 barleywine. It got down to 1.020 mashed at 150°. Fermented at 65°F.

That was two rehydrated packs in 5G of wort.

Made a Blonde Ale this week. Mashed @ 148 for 75mins. Pitched one packet of Safale-05 and finished out at 1.006. 85%. After reading this, the common theme seems to be a low mash temp = high attenuation with this yeast.

I have hit 80% with this strain also.... my first ale to get below 1.01 was with these yeastie beasties.

Just got 83% on an IPA.

+1 on this strain clearing nicely in the bottle. It takes FOREVER to drop out in the fermenter though. 3+ weeks every time I use it and it's always still cloudy at bottling.

I tend to get about 80%. But the brews I make with US-05 tend to be mashed on the cool side, so there is more for the yeasties to work with.

I get around 80 too, I like the yeast a lot, I get slightly higher attenuation on the dried compared to the liquid, I put this down to the inevitable higher pitching rate you get with the dried packs.

Just to add another data point...you can get as low as ~72% with it if you want . I recently brewed a ale with S-05 and I was intentionally trying to NOT get high attenuation. I was trying my new 'Rachel Ray's 30-minute mash' schedule and it seemed to work except for a slight drop in efficiency.

OG - 1.058
FG - 1.016
Fernmented around 70-ish for the first few days then let it rise to 75-ish after it slowed.

I did a SMaSH (single malt & single hop) using only 2-row pale malt. I didn't want it to finish too dry, so I mashed at 158F (which probably cooled to 156F over the mash time), and relatively thin at 1.75 qts/lb. It went from 1.055 to 1.018, I was surprised I was able to get the apparent attenuation down to 66%!

I threw an Imperial stout on that cake and it went from 1.090 to 1.018 in 4 days (activity was mostly done within 3 days). That was mashed around 146F (and at 1.3 qts/lb), with a half pound of crystal and a pound of oats, yeilding 80% AA.

I typically ferment at a cellar temperature of 64F.

I love this yeast, and I've used it WAY more than anything. It'll basically eat ALL the simple sugars you feed it!

My current brew is sitting around 80% attenuation after 7 days. Surprisingly, it's still supporting a good yeast head... like I could top-crop it if I wanted to (though I know most of those yeast would not be very active at this point). I've never seen this yeast have a thick crop on-top after 7 days? And it still has a real yeast twang to it. In my experience, it's usually done fermenting & settling out before now?

I'll give it another day or so... but I need that cake for some fresh cider!

This was the post I have been looking for. I too have used this yeast twice. The first time It was pitched in 5 of 10 gallons of wort and the other 5 was pitched with 04. I had yeast bubble over onto the box covering the carboy and back onto the neck of the carboy. I thought for sure that the nickel sized bubbles with a slight slime to them was a sign that the overflow caused an infection. Now again I am setting with 5 gallons at 10 days and I still have a 1/2" of yeast on the top. I had the slightly slimy bubbles after about 4 days on this batch also. I had none of this with the 04. Are these characteristics of this yeast? I am a new brewer and was very careful to keep the bugs out…but what’s up? Both of these batches started bubbling in 8-12 hrs.

Every ferment is different, temperature could cause a huge variation in how the krausen looks, also proteins, gravity, and all of the other things that contribute to head forming and surface tension. Search for "blowoff tube" to keep your airlock from filling and use one during the initial stages of fermentation if you are at all concerned with having enough headspace. I have had US-05 that blew off aggressively for days, and also (like the IPA currently in the next room) form barely more than 1" of foam and be done in 3 days. Too many variables to chalk any one of these to characteristics.

After 2 more days (total 9), there was still a dense head on top (though not quite as much, or maybe it just compacted?).

Anyway, I scraped it back and the beer underneath was clearing. The haze was gone, but there were still some clumps. The taste didn't have that yeasty twang either, so I transferred to secondary.

The cider I pitched on it was overflowing for almost 3 days!

By the way, this US/Chico yeast is a decendent of Ballantine, which originally came from the UK. It's supposedly a true top-cropping yeast. I think it's peachy vanilla esters work well with American hops.

Day 13, I just racked my cream ale to the secondary and it was at 1.006. It ended up at 86% attenuation. It still had bubbles on top with a slimy film but most of it fell out when I moved the carboy off the floor to rack. After 14 days the taste is good. I am trying to tell if I detect a slight Bandaid taste, but my wife tasted it and thought it just tasted like a light beer. She described the smell as slightly apple.. This is the first one she actually said "it tastes pretty good". I must be ok..

I did an IPA and got 78% on an OG of 1.072. Then I pitched another IPA onto that yeast cake and got 82%. I never expected it to do so well

Just yesterday I transferred from primary into keg a batch of APA with OG of 1.053, FG 1.009, for AA of 83%. This is typical of my experience with this yeast (which in fact represents the entirety of my experience, 12 brews).

I did a porter recently, mashed at 154-155, with an OG ~1.070 down to 1.012 for AA of 83%. Was definitely higher attenuation than I wanted and was my first time using the yeast.

I know this is a day late and a dollar short, but... Fermentis was unloading a bunch of 05 to LHBS at over 50% off for almost a year, just ended in the last few months. I was getting it for $1.80 a pop, so I used a wee bit of it. Most if not all was made in Croatia, and I had 5 or 6 10 gallon batchs turbo ferment in 48-72 hrs to 90-95% Att (at pretty high ferment temps, which helped). But, I think maybe there was a production issue. I found some craft brewer forum posts from spring and summer complaining about 500g packs suddenly turboing or jumping from 80-85 Att to 95+. And I've got 10 gallons of APA thats been going for 7 days from a new batch of 05 from somewhere else in europe thats only about 65% att so far.

Back