Safale S04 Krausen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thaddeus Malorum

Reaction score
I have a batch of about 5.5 gallons Mott's juice with S04. It's been in primary for two weeks now, and the Krausen on top has not subsided at all. I'm used to using champagne yeasts, so ale yeast is a bit of a new experience for me. About when might I expect it to subside? I'm worried about being able to properly rack and bottle with the Krausen there.

Fermentation seems to have finished, or at least stalled. No way to get an accurate gravity reading with it in the way.

Only thing I did especially different with this batch was add some acid and tannin on the front end, which perhaps I should've done some research about. Thanks for any help!

Stir it gently, the foam should sink. S-04's lees are fluffy compared to some other yeasts, and easily disturbed. I make sure the carboy has been sitting still for at least a few days before racking and don't let the siphon touch bottom.

Stir it gently, the foam should sink. S-04's lees are fluffy compared to some other yeasts, and easily disturbed. I make sure the carboy has been sitting still for at least a few days before racking and don't let the siphon touch bottom.

Thanks for the response. I've tried stirring by agitating the carboy -- the foam sinks in clumps, and then several minutes later floats back up. Should I use a spoon or some other tool to try stirring it in? I'll definitely be sure to let it rest plenty before racking.

I have a week old 5 gal batch of Treetop 'fresh pressed' juice in primary on S04. While in primary I walk by it a couple times a day and agitate by rolling the top of the bottle around to degas a bit and to swallow up the krausen. When I finish primary I will have no krausen at all. Because I roll the bottle, I don't intro any outside air. You can get pretty agressive and the only downside is you might spit a bunch of foam out the airlock if you get a little too much degas.

I also use a sanitized turkey baster to draw enough juice from 6 inches down in the must to do a SG test. Too cheap to buy a wine sucker, I guess.

Back