Quantcast

Safale S-04 yeast slow fermentation

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Kalaloch

Reaction score
Sorry This is a Yeast & Hard Ginger Beer question, I didn’t see a forum for that.

I did a hard ginger beer (5 gallons) with
Safale S-04 yeast and used 5.5 lbs of granulated sugar. The OG was 1.080 and now 20 days later it is only at 1.032. It’s been fermenting at approx. 65-68 degrees. I also added nutritional yeast and I think a little of Yeast Energizer. I pitched yeast into syrup solution that was 120+ degrees so then next day I pitched another packet of same yeast.

The original recipe used 5 lbs of sugar (I used 1/2 lb more) and said it should have an OG of 1.045 and after 2 weeks should have an FG of 0.996 with a ABV of 6.5%.

Questions:

• Do my numbers seem way off for only adding 1/2 lbs of sugar more than the recipe calls for?

• Why it is taking so long to get to OG? (Yes I’ve checked it every week and the gravity readings are still changing).

• If I add more ginger root will that add more sugar for yeast to digest (does ginger root contain sugar)?

bmd2k1

Reaction score
S04 is typically a pretty fast fermentor for me....goes from 1.05 to 1.01-ish in a week....at mid60s....no nutrients etc added.

1lb sugar in 1gal adds 46 SG points.....so 1/2 pound in 5 gals would only add 4-5points.

I've used S04 in both ice ciders and regular....the former getting into the 11.5% ABV range.

You're at about 6.5% given your #s.

Doesn't answer your ? exactly but hopefully gives a bit of insight.

Last edited:

bmd2k1

Reaction score
Yes thank you
Have you tasted it? Given its already in the 6.5% range...if it's to your liking or close....maybe its ready to be racked...unless you were looking for a higher ABV.

OP
Kalaloch

Kalaloch

Reaction score
Yes it tastes great but a possibility a little sweet, I’m wondering if there’s residual sugar still left. I’m thinking of pitching Champagne yeast to see if there is sugar left for yeast to eat.

bmd2k1

Reaction score
What's SG currently? (Is it still changing?)

Do you see any activity in the must and/or airlock?

If no noticeable activity....have ya tried agitating/swirling your vessel?

Last edited: