Safale S-04 Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vendrixfly

Reaction score
Brewed a Baltic Molasses Smoked Porter last Friday evening, first time using this yeast and I made a small starter even though I understand now that it's not necessary. Well, the OG was 1.081 and I pitched at exactly 70*F and it took off within four hours. By the next morning there were bubbles at 3/sec, the fastest and most active start I've seen in all my batches! The ambient was around 70* with the sticker showing 73* inside the fermenter. I wanted to lower it a bit so I moved it down into the cellar (ambient 60*) in a bucket of cool water for a day. Checked on it after 24 hours and fermentation had slowed to a reasonable pace, showed 61* inside, took it out of the bucket to stabilize in the 60* cellar and it's in the low 60's at the moment. I was curious, so I took a SG reading today (3 days later) and it has dropped to 1.031-- 50 points! Wow! Krausen had risen and almost completely dropped back, with just a thin film of milk-chocolate froth on top...smelled fantastic.

My question is: I want to get the most attenuation out of this yeast as possible. My goal is a 8% Porter, so FG around 1.020. At the speed this is going, when should I bring the fermenter up to the apartment in a higher ambient for finishing, or do I need to do that at all? Did making a starter with dry yeast hurt my chances of attenuating down that low in the first place? I usually leave my brews in primary for at least 3 weeks to let the yeast clean up but was planning on leaving this one closer to a month since it's more complex and higher gravity. Thanks for any thoughts ya might have on this.

I'd move it to a warmer environment too. A warmer temp will help it fully attenuate and at this stage the risk of off flavors is very low.

What you have is fine, but don't be surprised if it doesn't quite finish as low as you want. US-04 doesn't attenuate quite as much as 05, but it is perfect for a porter. Just an FYI, a Baltic porter is a lagered beer, so this isn't actually that, but I'm sure it will be excellent.

What you have is fine, but don't be surprised if it doesn't quite finish as low as you want. US-04 doesn't attenuate quite as much as 05, but it is perfect for a porter. Just an FYI, a Baltic porter is a lagered beer, so this isn't actually that, but I'm sure it will be excellent.

The things ya learn:) I'll start calling it Imperial till I taste it, then I'm sure a house name will come to me. My last IIPA was at first taste was promptly donned "Hornytooth IPA".. Don't ask:p

I use S-04 almost exclusively as a house yeast, warm it up because when it floc's out it drops like a ton of bricks! I chill down to 62F, ferment at 64F for 5-7 days, then begin ramping up the temps 2F every day until I hit 76F. I leave that for 5-7 days then cold crash.

I like my S-04 at 64* - I bring it up to a warmer temp (not much warmer - 68*) and give the fermentation vessel a good swirl/shake when I'm a couple points away from my anticipated final gravity. It's a quick worker, and seems to build temperature fast - it's worth the extra effort to keep an eye on it and keep it below 70* in my experience. As stated, it will drop clear like a ton of bricks when it's done.

I've used it in stout, porter, ESB, brown, American pale, and barleywine style ales with great success. The only thing I didn't enjoy it in was an IPA - I find that I prefer a greater attenuation than the S-04 provides.

I use S04 often, at 62-64 degrees. It gets estery above that.

It ferments well down to 60 degrees, for sure. Maybe lower, but I've never gone below 60 degrees with it!

Showing 68* now that it's up in a 70* ambient, airlock is bubbling once/4seconds. Still can't believe these yeasties work so fast...Hoping letting it get up to 73* for the first day of crazy fermentation won't leave me with estery beer that the qualities of Porter won't mask.

Thanks again for the feedback. I will definitely be using S-04 again and take into consideration the temperature preferences. Working on my first BIAB IPA that I'll be pitching Safale S-05 into!

Showing 68* now that it's up in a 70* ambient, airlock is bubbling once/4seconds. Still can't believe these yeasties work so fast...Hoping letting it get up to 73* for the first day of crazy fermentation won't leave me with estery beer that the qualities of Porter won't mask.

Thanks again for the feedback. I will definitely be using S-04 again and take into consideration the temperature preferences. Working on my first BIAB IPA that I'll be pitching Safale S-05 into!

Treat the US-05 the same way - it likes low to mid 60's and will be extraordinarily clean in that range. It clears a little slower though; cold crashing helps if you're on a short timeline.

If your porter has too much fruitiness, letting it age out a while helps IMO. It won't solve the issue completely, but a month or two of cool storage will help.

Back