Safale S-04 Fermenting at 57°???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NothingRhymesWithCurtiss

Reaction score
24 hours into my batch of modified Mr. Beer Czech Pilsner, I'm seeing definite fermentation activity in the 8Lx fermenter. While I understand that some yeasts take 48-72 hours to really get to work, I'm concerned that I'm messing up my first batch.

The temp in the fermenter has held steady at 57° since I pitched the yeast (based on ABV I used the entire pack of Safale S-04). As for where it's sitting, it's in my basement (I'm in Michigan) on a shelf. Ambient temperature is approximately 67°. I have a small house (and a toddler), so unfortunately, I can't move it out of the basement.

Do I need to be worried, or is this just first-time jitters? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

That is very cold for S-04. You might invest in a big tub and an aquarium heater and warm it up. Just put your fermenter ion the tub and fill close to the top and use the heater to warm it up to at least the low 60s. Ideal fermentation temperature for that yeast id 59 to 68 degrees, but it will work, although slowly, down to about 55. I don't know of anyone going that low, so have no idea of what kind of flavor profile you'll end up with. I doubt seriously that it will even come close to lager like. It may be a great beer though.

I am in Michigan as well and just recently used S-04. I agree with the tub and aquarium heater to up the temp. I usually start my primary in my basement for 2-3 days and then move to an upstairs closet to bring the heat to around 65f.

I have heard of people fermenting S-04 at the lower end of temp spectrums without issues but it'll just take longer to ferment out. Good luck though I wouldn't be to concerned

Since my last post I've moved the fermenter to a shelf that is approximately 10 inches higher than the previous height and propped open the door to the room. Now, 44 hours since pitching the yeast and the temperature has risen to 61°. I'll keep an eye out for rapid temperature changes, but plan on just letting the yeast do its thing. Thanks for the advice.

Mr Beer should be ashamed of themselves and the same for Coopers for selling a kit called LAGER and then supplying you w/an ALE yeast.

I like S-04 on the lower end (58-60° F), and as for the timing, I find it ferments out disturbingly fast. Every time I use it, I'm worried I fermented too warm, as it always seems to be completely done in 2 days.

I generally leave all my ales for at least 2 weeks. 3 weeks is my standard schedule, but I've recently been shortening that up for my IPAs (10 days) to improve freshness.

My recent batch with S-04 just kind of fermented, not with a lot of vigor, in a couple of days. It was hovering around 62-64. I had it in a swamp cooler because 8 hours after pitching it was up to 70. I knew it was going to get too warm. A couple of days later most krausen has dropped. I brewed Sunday so I just took it out of the water and put it back on a towel on the floor to kind of let it warm up a bit.

So I think 61 is great, 57 may be too cool but doable.
What made you use an ale yeast in a lager?

Based on the temperature of my basement, and not wanting to use the generic Mr Beer yeast, I picked the S-04. Due to being inexperience, I reacged out on the forums about my ingredient list ,and no one said anything about using the yeast.

Mr. Beer calls their Lager-style beers "Lagers."

I think they add, like... skunk flavoring or something. Just came across this from a guy that brews Mr. Beers and handed me an American "Lager."

I had to check online to see if you actually lager these, which you don't.

So, I think that's the issue, sketchy as it may seem.

It's really weird if you're seeing 57F hold steady when the ambient temperature is 67F. Even if there was no fermentation the temperature of the wort inside the bucket would be increasing to match ambient temperature. If you've seen a steady 57F reading for 24 hours with 67F ambient temperatures your thermometer is probably not working correctly.

Temp has been at 61° for 3 days now. Regarding the 8Lx not being airtight, the majority of users on the Mr. Beer sight recommendation fermenting for 3 weeks. This includes people using both extracts and all grain.

I like S-04 on the lower end (58-60° F), and as for the timing, I find it ferments out disturbingly fast. Every time I use it, I'm worried I fermented too warm, as it always seems to be completely done in 2 days.

S-04 has always been a crap shoot for me. Sometimes it decides to get violent and blow things up while it ferments like a mad rabbid devil. Other times it's mellow and ferments nice and smoothly. But I do agree, it ferments rather fast.

Back