Safale pack date

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dai2dai996

Reaction score
Hello, I have read that the date on safale packages is 2 years past the packaging date. I just got some safale us-05 with the date of "03 2020" on it. This of course doesn't add up. Does anyone know anything about this? Thank you.

They've bumped the timeframe from packaging to Best before by one year, so now it's 3 years.

I just got this reply from Fermentis:

Dear Tom

Thanks for contacting Fermentis.

Our BBE (Best Before) is 3 years since about 1 ½ years ago. This decision was taken after stability and consistency tests we carried out during the previous 4 years. The results were presented during the MBAA meeting this year in Atlanta and the EBC in Slovenia.

Hope now is clear.
Thank you!

I just noticed this on a couple packets of S23 I bought last week. Thanks for taking the time to confirm my suspicions!

No problem. This is the first time using dry packs. I've only used white labs before. The dry packs are definitely easier to deal with as far as storage goes.

Back