Safale 04 American Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i've used it quite a few times for my brown ale with good results. i try to keep the temps down in the low 60's to keep the fruitiness to a minimum though. s04 ferments and clears very fast... i think the big flavors of an american brown are fine with it, and i personally like american hops with the fruitiness of the yeast.

If you're wanting to stick to style, then go with 05. But if you don't care about that, 04 would be tasty as well. I've used both.

Moose Drool uses an English Ale yeast and it's listed in the BJCP style guidelines as one of the examples of an American Brown Ale, so I say hell yeah to S04.

Down with the American Ale hegemony! Crappy bland, non-flocculating, boring yeast...

Down with the American Ale hegemony! Crappy bland, non-flocculating, boring yeast...

Haha, hilarious. I don't often use the 11056/US-05/001, but it has its place. It sure doesn't bring much flavor to the party.

S-04 will make a great brown ale. If it's a real American style taste you're after, I'd go with an American ale yeast. English strains will be just as good (and generally better, if you ask me), but make for a slightly different beer.

Back