Sad day for Hampshire UK

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlightyBrewer

Reaction score
Today, Fuller's announced they were closing the Horndean Brewery, home of Gales, and would continue to brew famous Hampshire brews such as HSB in Chiswick, London. :mad:

I shall be boycotting all Fuller's Ales (London Pride) from now on!

This is a sad day for Hampshire.....

Fuller's isn't as big an outfit as Greene King, but they are obviously aiming higher (or lower!). The sad fact is that this could have a bad effect on the community of Horndean, which is a small and old village. Apparently the volunteer fire service was manned by workers at the brewery, and the post office relies on trade from the brewery. A lot of people in the village will lose their jobs, and a village will lose a brewing tradition that has been going since 1847.

Its happening to a lot of industries. Here in Detroit its like one hit after another. Main hits are in the auto industry and suppliers, however the airlines here has been hurting very badly. Here in Detroit I blame the Unions. They would not know (nor care) thier A** from thier elbow. Ford is closing a bunch of plants, one is in a city that is, like Horndean, is built around them. Like Horndean, everyting is revolved around this Ford plant. This city has no other major industry and is about to die.

Don't blame the corporation, blame the consumer. The only reason companies do stuff like that is because there are never negative repercussions because of their actions. If consumers became more aware and actually cared and were willing to boycott the company because of the closing and the move, it would hurt the company's bottom line and the company would reconsider its decision.

Start a boycott and a petition and send it to the company. Maybe they won't move. Or, get a grassroots movement together to buy shares of the company and ditch the current board of directors.

The consumer was very happy and supportive of the product. A petition was launched, and the Wessex Camra fought hard. www.savegales.org.uk

I think it is a combination of Fuller's greed / expansion plans, and board members of Gales wishing to retire fat and happy.

BlightyBrewer said:
The consumer was very happy and supportive of the product. A petition was launched, and the Wessex Camra fought hard. www.savegales.org.uk

I think it is a combination of Fuller's greed / expansion plans, and board members of Gales wishing to retire fat and happy.

You know... I wrote the real long reply. I'm gonna opt not to put it in here on the account it just may piss people off and not worth it. Don't get me wrong... I do agree with you to a certain extent Cowain. But for this area here I have to agree a bit more with BlightyBrewer. The good fight has been fought here in Detroit and lost repeatedly. The companies are going to do what they want and as far as the public goes... if we boycotted all the companies that fit in this catagory we would not be buying much at all here.

Back