Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nate R

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all!
I was hoping to get a group buy going for the Sacramento CA area! (And all surrounding communities)
I am willing to help run it.
Unfortunatly, i do not have:
-a brewery/lhbs/company to get it from
-any contacts of anyone else in the area that would buy

Other than those two huge major hurdles, i think we are good to go! Lol.

So if you are in the greater Sacramento CA area and can help, or want to join in, reply please.

Thanks all!

Hello all!
I was hoping to get a group buy going for the Sacramento CA area! (And all surrounding communities)
I am willing to help run it.
Unfortunatly, i do not have:
-a brewery/lhbs/company to get it from
-any contacts of anyone else in the area that would buy

Other than those two huge major hurdles, i think we are good to go! Lol.

So if you are in the greater Sacramento CA area and can help, or want to join in, reply please.

Thanks all!

What were you looking to group buy? Grain, hops, etc? Eventually I'm hoping to make a trip to Oregon to get some Mecca Grade Estate malts. Most grains I get through from the LHBS Brewmiester. You could probably save a few bucks if you were in Concord and got them from Morebeer, but gas for a special trip from sac would eat that up pretty quick. You could ask around some of the local breweries, but unless you're pretty good friends with the owner, I doubt they will be interested in selling grain to homebrewers. On hops, you might be able to save a little money buying 11 lb bags and dividing it between a group, but i'm not sure how much. All that said, depending on the buy, I'm always interested in saving a little money

What were you looking to group buy? Grain, hops, etc? Eventually I'm hoping to make a trip to Oregon to get some Mecca Grade Estate malts. Most grains I get through from the LHBS Brewmiester. You could probably save a few bucks if you were in Concord and got them from Morebeer, but gas for a special trip from sac would eat that up pretty quick. You could ask around some of the local breweries, but unless you're pretty good friends with the owner, I doubt they will be interested in selling grain to homebrewers. On hops, you might be able to save a little money buying 11 lb bags and dividing it between a group, but i'm not sure how much. All that said, depending on the buy, I'm always interested in saving a little money

Great points.
I was looking at mostly grain.
Honestly hops are not that bad a deal cause shipping them is pretty cheap relatively.
Yes i do hit up more beer- got some family in the East Bay. But sometimes i worry about the age of the sacks in the showroom.
Brewmeister is cool- i've been to the Roseville and West Sac locations. Prefer west sac. I can sometimes get liquid yeast under two weeks old! Havent hit them up for grain bulk yet but cannot imagine it will be much cheaper than on-line.

Looking through the other threads here i see a significant savings on sacks- like $20-$40 cheaper than i can find anywhere else (and i am cheap and love to bargain hunt!!).
Add to that it is more likely fresher and it's a bonus! Not that it is a given, or makes that much difference. I would imagine more beet, northerb brewer, etc. buy by the rail-car load (or more) so their stock probably turns 1 or 2x a year.

If you went to Mecca Grade i would be in! Also i would like to try the Admiral Malt out of Alamdea. They may notwholesale to homebrewers but at least it would be fresher.

Thanks!

Great points.
I was looking at mostly grain.
Honestly hops are not that bad a deal cause shipping them is pretty cheap relatively.
Yes i do hit up more beer- got some family in the East Bay. But sometimes i worry about the age of the sacks in the showroom.
Brewmeister is cool- i've been to the Roseville and West Sac locations. Prefer west sac. I can sometimes get liquid yeast under two weeks old! Havent hit them up for grain bulk yet but cannot imagine it will be much cheaper than on-line.

Looking through the other threads here i see a significant savings on sacks- like $20-$40 cheaper than i can find anywhere else (and i am cheap and love to bargain hunt!!).
Add to that it is more likely fresher and it's a bonus! Not that it is a given, or makes that much difference. I would imagine more beet, northerb brewer, etc. buy by the rail-car load (or more) so their stock probably turns 1 or 2x a year.

If you went to Mecca Grade i would be in! Also i would like to try the Admiral Malt out of Alamdea. They may notwholesale to homebrewers but at least it would be fresher.

Thanks!

Count me in for grain. I’m always looking for deals on 50lb sacks.

FYI
I spoke with Admiral Maltings last week and they are sold out of Feldblume until December. They are having a hard time keeping up with the demand from local breweries. Had to buy a sack from Morebeer.

I will do some searching in the area and let you know what I find. [emoji482]

Last edited:
Count me in for grain. I’m always looking for deals on 50lb sacks.

FYI
I spoke with Admiral Maltings last week and they are sold out of Feldblume until December. They are having a hard time keeping up with the demand from local breweries. Had to buy a sack from Morebeer.

I will do some searching in the area and let you know what I find. [emoji482]
Have you used the admiral yet? If so, thoughts? What type of grain? Fieldblum?
Any initial thoughts?

Have you used the admiral yet? If so, thoughts? What type of grain? Fieldblum?
Any initial thoughts?

It’s close to a 2-row but grown and processed in Northern California.
I used Feldblume once to brew an IPA about a year ago. Got a gold “participation ribbon” at a local Homebrew competition.

Planning on brewing a 15 gallon batch with some coworkers next Saturday on “learn to Homebrew day” using Feldblume, Pilsner malt, and a little wheat. Chrisp and hoppy is the goal. [emoji482]
If you have a chance I recommend you check out their operation in Alameda.
Always contact them in advance if you plan to buy malt from them to confirm they have it in stock!

It’s close to a 2-row but grown and processed in Northern California.
I used Feldblume once to brew an IPA about a year ago. Got a gold “participation ribbon” at a local Homebrew competition.

Planning on brewing a 15 gallon batch with some coworkers next Saturday on “learn to Homebrew day” using Feldblume, Pilsner malt, and a little wheat. Chrisp and hoppy is the goal. [emoji482]
If you have a chance I recommend you check out their operation in Alameda.
Always contact them in advance if you plan to buy malt from them to confirm they have it in stock!
Yeah i have been trying to get there. I got in-laws in (far) east bay but it just has not worked out. I read they will sell to public but keep prices even with lhbs which is cool with me. I just want to know it's fresher. If i am going to spend $80 on a sack i want to know its fresh!!
I was at Concord morebeer but the sacks they had didn't even have download specs anymore on admiral's website so i passed.

Please keep me/us posted on the results from the upcoming brew!!

If driving to the Bay Area is an option, check out Williams Brewing in San Leandro. They will let you do Will Call pickup.

These days their selection grain is not very big. But if they have what you want, they are good guys to deal with.

Latest posts

Back