Sacks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike4420

Reaction score
Cotton or nylon bag. Is there a difference? Cotton is natural & nylon is synthetic. The goal is for the best possible brew. Would one produce a better brew in anyway than the other. :drunk:

What exactly is it that you intend to use the bag for? I'm assuming that it's for steeping grains, but I thought I'd ask to make sure.

ohiobrewtus said:
What exactly is it that you intend to use the bag for? I'm assuming that it's for steeping grains, but I thought I'd ask to make sure.

Yes, for steeping the grains. We are doing our first mini-mash and I wanted to order from 7 bridges and noticed the cotton bag was $11 compared to $4-5 for nylon from Austin Home Brew.

If you let anything lay on the bottom of your boiler it could melt or scortch. If you support it with a rod going across the boiler top rim you will have no problems. I like nylon as it is very easy to clean.

I clip my bags to the edge of the brewpot with a "mini chip-clip" so it's just above the bottom of the pot.

I don't think there's a quality difference between types of bags. I use paint strainer bags from Lowe's ($1.95 for two 1 gallon bags).

MINICHIPT_lg.jpg

I go for the Muslin bags. But i also get the disposable kind and use a new one each batch.

I broke down and bought the $11 Seven Bridges bag. :cross:

The idea of applying heat to very thin nylon fibers for many hours evokes too many images of leaching chemicals. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but I'd rather spend the $11 on a reusable fair-trade organic cotton bag.

When I got the bag, the label talked about how cotton retains a huge amount of pesticides (which makes sense if you think about it). So the idea of disposable muslin sounds to me like getting a fresh batch of chemicals for every brew. :drunk:

But again, probably just being paranoid...

Back