Sacc Trois underattenuation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hotwatermusic

Reaction score
I currently have a Berliner going that was soured down to 3.4 pH and then reboiled and pitched with a can of A20 citrus from Imperial. It was around 4.5 gal. of 1.038 wort. Fermentation was a bit slow, never vigorous and quickly tapered. I added apricot puree hoping to rekick fermentation. It did and again quickly slowed. I then figured I would dry hop, hoping for that secondary ferm that can come with dry hopping. That's where I stand now but there isn't much activity. Only day 6 but I don't know how long to wait for better attenuation. I've heard of this strain being an over attenuator but that hasn't been my experience with this or my one other time using the strain. Am I alone in this?

Last edited:
what was the gravity you got it down to? I use this yeast a lot. I use it in Berliners as well, although I've been keeping the bugs alive. I give my Berliners 1 month of primary with A20. It works a little slow for me- for Berliners I usually finish this yeast at 1.006.

Do you have issues with A20 when you are not quick souring? Have you used other Sacc yeasts at 3.4 with better results?

Many yeasts do not do well in low ph worts. I usually pitch at least twice my regular pitch in Berliners, as yeast will not reproduce as well.

I don't know how well Trois likes low ph, but I can see some yeasts stalling out if you don't have an adequate pitch.

Thanks for the feedback. First, sorry I did neglect to mention as of the initial post it was at 1.020. I did mash high 158deg. my previous experience was with the White Labs version and used it on a session IPA that finished (or possibly stalled) at 1.014.
Secondly I pitched the whole can, no starter. Originally 200b cells but even assuming I lost half, the wort post boil/ pre fruiting was only 1.025 and would still be a healthy pitch at under 5 gal. The rest of the gravity points came via the apricot puree added day 4, and that is based off of beer smith I didn't take a gravity reading at that point.
I have read (anecdotally) that the sacc trios strain does well in low pH environments however even assuming that is accurate, I don't know any specifics.

Back