Sabco kettle question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nosnhojr

Reaction score
I'm moving to AG and want to get a keggle for boiling. The Sabco looks great, but I'm confused about the threadless ports. Does this limit the choice of false bottoms and screens, or can I use, say, the Hop Stopper? What screen or false bottom do people recommend with the Sabco keggle?

Thanks!

I just got a Sabco keggle, but I didn't get one with a port. I just got the 'Blowout Special'... http://sabco.stores.yahoo.net/blowoutspecial.html

Probably should've gotten one with a hole, but o well...I was trying to save a few bucks :) I will just siphon after chilling the wort.

Doing my first AG in this keggle this weekend!!!!

Good luck with your first AG!

I'm also doing my first AG this weekend. I ended up ordering a Sabco boil kettle on Monday, and it arrived Thursday. Perfect condition, great packaging for shipping. A bit expensive, but the OOBE was great.

Sabco has altered their kettles of late and have done away with threaded ports. Way back when, you could purchase a Sabco "Universal Kettle" with a full 1/2" coupling plus a half 1/2" coupling, cleaned and ready to use for $100. To me, this was the best deal ever and probably the best kettle configuration you could ask for. I told anyone who would listen that this couldn't be beat. I was right. Soon after, I noticed the price went up to over $200 and asked Sabco about it. They said there was a used keg shortage so all of their UK's were made from new kegs. Soon after that, they went away from threaded ports and started using the tri-clover attachments like on their Brew Magic systems. Now, a UK costs $330.00. Ouch.

As mentioned in the post above, they are currently having a "blowout special" which is a used keg with the top cut out and no ports, for $100. This is the best deal going and anyone considering a large boil kettle should pounce on it before it's gone. Cutting out the top is the biggest chore in converting a keg. Welding ports on is easily done by any reputable weld shop, so this should not be a deterrent for anyone who wants a ball valve or a sight glass on their keggle.

Personally, I am disappointed that Sabco went this route. All this does is make flat bottomed kettes more attractive because they are now cheaper. For a long time, this wasn't the case. It also locks the user in to the Sabco accessories rather than fitting your own accessories. Now before anyone accuses me of having my own selfish interests here, the Hop Stopper is easily installed onto the Sabco dip tube. I have done it for many Brew Magic and UK users so that isn't an issue. I just think the tri-clover design, while pretty cool, is overkill for homebrewers. Threaded ports offer the most versatile and economical option for keg conversions. Just an opinion.

Prosit!

Tnland - you ever gonna make your website look clean and professional? I'll build you one for a barter.

Back