Saaz/Tettnang replacements?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andreiz

Reaction score
I want to brew this Vanilla Cream Ale recipe, but my LHBS (MoreBeer) is out of Saaz and Tettnang hops due to the shortage. They suggest using Santiam or Sterling instead of Saaz and Santiam, Sterling, or Vanguard instead of Tettnang. Would this be an ok replacement or would you recommend something else to keep as close as possible to that recipe?

I've been able to buy both of those online in the past few weeks, should have no issue getting them if you truly want to use those hops.

Rather than retype a whole bunch of stuff, read here: Cheesefood's V.C.C. Ale - A few Q's - Home Brew Forums

If you want to brew the recipe as-is, that's cool. But in my experience with that recipe, the hops are overkill to begin with - so rather than bust your hump trying to find hops that are slightly hard to find right now... maybe you can just roll with something you *DO* have. In my opinion, that recipe needs far less hops, because they really just cover up the vanilla and caramel tastes that we're striving for.

If it were me - I'd do 15 IBUs of neutral hop at 60 minutes, and be done with it. Don't need a bunch of hops when you're adding $5 of vanilla, some lactose, some maltodextrin, a bunch of caramel malts..... You get my jive?

srsly...SF Brewcraft should have everything you need. why would you go all the way to concord??

They don't have some of the equipment and other stuff I'm needing to buy.. But I'll definitely stop by SF Brewcraft for hops and grains in the future.

If it were me - I'd do 15 IBUs of neutral hop at 60 minutes, and be done with it. Don't need a bunch of hops when you're adding $5 of vanilla, some lactose, some maltodextrin, a bunch of caramel malts..... You get my jive?

I hear you. :) Where is maltodextrin in that recipe? I only see extracts + some caramel malt and lactose.

Also, when should I add vanilla extract? To the primary or before bottling?

Eh - Maybe I used the malto in something else. It would benefit this beer though!!!

Add the vanilla @ bottling. I added mine one day before bottling, just to make sure that any sugars in the extract fermented out, so that it didn't f* up my priming sugar calculations.

If you add it in primary, you won't wind up tasting much of it at all. :(

Also, when should I add vanilla extract? To the primary or before bottling?

I'd add about 1/2 of the amount the recipe called for, and about 1/2 the lactose and taste it. If it's not enough for you, you could add the rest. Once it's in there, though, you can't take it out.

I know many people like this recipe, but it had WAY too much sugar and vanilla for me. It was like drinking cream soda with beer flavoring added. It was my only dumper batch. I did have a good friend who liked it, though, and drank about 1/2 of it herself.

I'd add about 1/2 of the amount the recipe called for, and about 1/2 the lactose and taste it. If it's not enough for you, you could add the rest. Once it's in there, though, you can't take it out.

Recipe calls for adding lactose @15 mins before flameout, so I guess I can taste it when it cools down?

I know many people like this recipe, but it had WAY too much sugar and vanilla for me. It was like drinking cream soda with beer flavoring added. It was my only dumper batch. I did have a good friend who liked it, though, and drank about 1/2 of it herself.

I can understand being cautious with vanilla extract, but too much sugar? From what, DME?

I want to brew this Vanilla Cream Ale recipe, but my LHBS (MoreBeer) is out of Saaz and Tettnang hops due to the shortage. They suggest using Santiam or Sterling instead of Saaz and Santiam, Sterling, or Vanguard instead of Tettnang. Would this be an ok replacement or would you recommend something else to keep as close as possible to that recipe?

Hallertau or Hersbrucker would be my sub for saaz although I would say there is NO substitute for saaz.:cross:

1) You can either add the lactose during the boil as mentioned, or you can boil it seperately in a pint or two of water, and add until it tastes "right" to you. Yooper is referring to the second method.
(1b. If you are sensitive to lactose at all, you might want to err on the light side. Excessive lactose consumption in sensitive G.I. systems can cause the bad-news browns.)

2. Yooper is referring to the taste itself - way too much sugar and vanilla taste. There isn't actually extra sugar added in, except for the lactose itself (backsweetener) and whatever trace amounts might be in the vanilla extract.

Excluding the Lactose, it's all malt-based sweetness.

I might try to come up with my own Caramel Vanilla sometime this winter. As I said prior, this recipe just kind of fell flat in my tastes and in my opinion. I've always wanted to one-up it - you know, for the challenge of "Can I make this better?", the personal challenge of "Can I replicate these tastes?".

One thing's for sure. My recipe probably wouldn't wind up having an extract version - a minimash maybe would work - Cuz it would be loaded to the hilt with a bajillion different specialty grains to build complexity. :p

To answer your original question, from what you said was available, I would do 0.5 oz Vanguard at 60 minutes, and that's all.

(1b. If you are sensitive to lactose at all, you might want to err on the light side. Excessive lactose consumption in sensitive G.I. systems can cause the bad-news browns.)

I'm not sensitive to lactose myself, but the drinkers of my beers might be. :)

One thing's for sure. My recipe probably wouldn't wind up having an extract version - a minimash maybe would work - Cuz it would be loaded to the hilt with a bajillion different specialty grains to build complexity. :p

Looking forward to it. :)

I used Sterling as a replacement for those hops last year when they were hard to get and I was delighted with how well the beers turned out.

I can understand being cautious with vanilla extract, but too much sugar? From what, DME?

Chriso answered this- but it was the lactose. Lactose IS sugar. It's just an unfermentable sugar. It's milk sugar, and I found it cloyingly sweet.

I think Mutilated is right- Sterling would be a decent sub here. It's like a "noble" hop, and would be fine.

Back