saaz in pale ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bperlmu

Reaction score
Anyone ever use saaz as a finishing hop in a pale ale? I have some saaz on hand and was just wondering how it would trun out. only used it in dubbels so far i think

I've never used Saaz in that fashion, so I can't tell you what it'll taste/smell like, but there's no reason you can't.

I mean, if you're trying to clone Greene King Abbott Ale, you're probably a bit off the mark using Saazer instead of Kent Goldings. ;) But there's no reason to think that your beer will be bad. Saaz is a luvverly hop, with a very fine character. It's just different from the hops we usually assume would be used for flavor/aroma additions in English or American pale ales, 'cause it isn't Goldings or Cascades.

But hell! That's why we're homebrewers! Go nuts! :fro:

Cheers,

Bob

I've had an all Saaz Pilsner and it was good. The main question is what were you planning for the flavor hop? I think it would work well with Fuggle or Willamette.

I have used Saaz as a bittering hop for an IPA with excellent results. It contributes a very nice rounded bittering that complimented the East Kent Goldings used for dry hopping. Saaz can be a bit costly to use for bittering. Mine only had a AA of 3.5% and I ended up using 4 oz of it, plus an oz of EKG for dry hopping.

david_42 said:
I've had an all Saaz Pilsner and it was good. The main question is what were you planning for the flavor hop? I think it would work well with Fuggle or Willamette.

I just dry hopped with 50/50 Cascade/Fuggle in a Stone IPA AG clone. Cant wait to see the results.

I have a pale in the tap fridge right now that is saaz all the way through. Great noble hop for more of a balanced beer. Just do saaz!!:D

I hopped a Honey Wheat with a little Galena and a little Cascade, and then dry hopped with a full ounce of Saaz. It is delicious.

I say do it. (But I'm clearly not the first to say that!)

Back