SAAZ hops question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baer19d

Reaction score
I'm wanting to brew a 10 gal batch of pilsner and I'm not sure how much flavor and aroma hops I should use. The 5 gal recipe that I have calls for 1oz of each so would 2 oz each be good for a 10 gal batch? How much for a 15gal batch? The recipe calculator that I use gives me a pre-set AA% and when I change it to the actual AA% of the hops that I have it lets me know what the IBU's will be and I can adjust the weight of the addition to reach my target bitterness. If I adjust it for the actual AA% of the flavor and aroma hops the weight of the addition doesn't change and I have no way of knowing if it is enough. Can someone please help me Thanks, Mike

I'm wanting to brew a 10 gal batch of pilsner and I'm not sure how much flavor and aroma hops I should use. The 5 gal recipe that I have calls for 1oz of each so would 2 oz each be good for a 10 gal batch? How much for a 15gal batch? The recipe calculator that I use gives me a pre-set AA% and when I change it to the actual AA% of the hops that I have it lets me know what the IBU's will be and I can adjust the weight of the addition to reach my target bitterness. If I adjust it for the actual AA% of the flavor and aroma hops the weight of the addition doesn't change and I have no way of knowing if it is enough. Can someone please help me Thanks, Mike

Your flavor and aroma additions provide little bittering anyway so I'm not surprised the recipe calculator didn't change the weight based on your updated AA% for those additions. I would just alter the weight of the bittering addition and call it good.

A ten gallon batch is just two 5 gallon batches in the same pot. Double everything even your starter.

Back