Quantcast

S04 vs Irish Ale Yeast

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

stagstout

Reaction score
I am just curious if anyone would know how close these two yeasts are in characteristics or in differences for that matter. I see a lot of reciepes that call out for Irish Ale yeast and was wondering (to save money) if S04 would give me the same profile.

I suspect that it would, but would like to hear other opinions.

Beerrific

Reaction score
I would say that they are somewhat similar....medium attenuation, will give you some fruity esters. What kind of beer are you making?

menschmaschine

Reaction score
S-04 is a Whitbread strain. I've never brewed with Irish Ale yeast, but I would think there would be a significant difference.

I tried subbing S-04 for Burton Ale Yeast for the same reason you're looking to... hoping that it would be similar enough to use. No deal, it was a completely different beer (same Ordinary Bitter recipe, only different yeasts). It was good, but not as good.

Give it a shot, though... who knows?... it might turn out great.

OP
S

stagstout

Reaction score
I was just noticing that a lot of stout reciepes call out Irish Ale yeast and I have also seen some with S04. Was just curious if one could acheive the same thing using the cheaper S04.

JesseRC

Reaction score
I've used it twice on stouts, but I also havnt used anything else on stouts. I havnt noticed any esters to say. My ferment temps have been at about 67. It does make a compact cake with no need for secondary. I like it just fine, although the description makes it sounds like it could be used on a variety of ales not just stouts.

Beerrific

Reaction score
I was just noticing that a lot of stout reciepes call out Irish Ale yeast and I have also seen some with S04. Was just curious if one could acheive the same thing using the cheaper S04.
If you are trying to make a dry Irish stout with dry yeast, my suggestion would be to use Nottingham or even US-05. These will make sure your dry stout comes out dry.

I have used the S-04 in a sweet stout and a porter, and I like it quite a bit in each, but IMO it will not attenuate enough for a dry stout.

menschmaschine

Reaction score
I made an oatmeal stout with S-04 and it was delicious. The attenuation kinda sucked like Beerific says, but most of that was my fault with mash temps.

Saccharomyces

Be good to your yeast...
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
The Irish Ale yeast produces a noticeable bit of diacetyl that will be lacking in the S-04 ferment. Other than that I think the flavor profile and attenuation are comparable; I'd consider it a reasonable sub.

JesseRC

Reaction score
I dont know about flavor profile, but I just checked on my all grain Wheat Stout that i brewed on Sunday with S-04. OG was 1.057, this morning I checked gravity and it was at 1.012. So as for attenuation I think its fine. It was a hell of a fermentation for about 2 days then slowed, but as you can see its already pretty much done. I'll still let her sit for another 3 weeks or so.