S04 didn't finish...should I repitch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RandalG

Reaction score
I'm doing Biermuncher's Octoberfast and after three weeks it's at 1.024. Should I let it go longer or repitch? I've read about how fast S04 is so I'm not sure if it's stuck or just not finished. Krausen dropped after about two days.

Are you measuring gravity with a hydrometer or refractometer? Refractometer will measure high in the presence of alcohol

Repitching is pretty useless. There is a lot more yeast in your fermentor than what you're gonna add, so what's a little more yeast gonna do? When yeast stop it's typically for a reason. Temp swings can cause yeast to go dormant. Once the temp comes back up the yeast already present will become active again if conditions are favorable. But a problem with yeast going inactive before they are all the way finished is that the environment becomes less and less favorable for the yeast, so sometimes they don't become active again. Those same unfavorable conditions will face any yeast you repitch.

What was your starting gravity?

What was your recipe?

What temp has the beer been at? Stable, fluctuates? Try warming it up by putting it in a warmer part of your house.

You could rouse the yeast with a clean sanitized spoon. Don't stir air into it, just kinda scrape the bottom getting yeast back into the fight.

hydrometer

I just made this as well, ended at about 1.014. What was your mash temp (was it high)? What's your ferm temp (too low)? Was the yeast new or old?

I'd be tempted to swirl the fermenter a bit, get some of the yeast back in suspension, and push the temp up to about 68F...

How does it taste?

I just made this as well, ended at about 1.014. What was your mash temp (was it high)? What's your ferm temp (too low)? Was the yeast new or old?

I'd be tempted to swirl the fermenter a bit, get some of the yeast back in suspension, and push the temp up to about 68F...

How does it taste?

Since fermentation is mostly complete I wouldn't even worry about going above the yeast's listed temp range. Getting yeast to pick back up this late in the game can be challenging. Depends on what the O.G. was in a big way. If this was a big beer it'll be harder to get it going again.

4# pilsner
2.5# vienna
2# munich
1# aromatic
1# carmel 20
.5# carapils
.5# carmel 40
Starting OG was 1.056. Temp was steady at 68 in a chamber. Should I stir up the yeast let it warm and see what happens? Or I guess I can just drink it as a small beer.

Sample isn't bad. Just weak. Previously finished batches were at 1.015 or so. Mashed at 156.

Mash temp is maybe a tad high, but even at 156, s-04 shouldn't stop at 1.024 on this beer. 68 is good. As I said, I think I'd probably swirl it up a bit, keep it at 68 and see if you can get the yeast that's in there going again before dropping in new...

Since fermentation is mostly complete I wouldn't even worry about going above the yeast's listed temp range. Getting yeast to pick back up this late in the game can be challenging. Depends on what the O.G. was in a big way. If this was a big beer it'll be harder to get it going again.

List temp range for S-04 is 59-68 (ideal), 54-77 (will work). This isn't a big beer (~1.056).

If the yeast stopped at 68 they aren't going to start again at 68. Adding more is like spitting in the ocean.

If you wanna get it lower you'll probably need to add a more aggressive yeast strain and bring the temp above 70. Even then...

Back