S Type Airlock - cap question

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

wherestheyeast

Reaction score
I racked an IPA to secondary on Friday using a plastic bucket with an S-Type Airlock. And of course I placed the little red cap on it after filling it with filtered water. I returned today to find the lid if the bucket pillowed out and all the water in the "outside" chamber of the airlock. So I took the little red cap off and all kinds of pressure released from the airlock spraying it's water out.

So, are you not supposed to use the airlock cap? I figured since it came with a cap it should be used!

Thanks!

Randall

Reaction score
I have always read not to use those just because of cleaning issues. I use the three piece air locks and have had the tops on those blow off too. You might wanna look into using a blow off initially. Hope I helped but probably just confused. Good luck.

drhookmec

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Your right you don't need that cap at all IMO throw it away.

I often wonder why too they even have those stupid caps for those air locks.

OP
wherestheyeast

wherestheyeast

Reaction score
LHBS was out of the three piece air locks... I've read that people keep a bunch of em on hand. I'll hafta pick up a few next time.

Stauffbier

Reaction score
I have 6 - 3 piece airlocks and one s-type. I only use the s-type for 1 gallon batches of wine. And I would recommend using cheap vodka or sanitizer soulution in your airlocks instead of filtered water..

bomberman

Reaction score
Um...these red caps do come with HOLES right? Because that would certainly be ridiculous if they didn't. My S-lock cap has a bunch of holes in it about the diameter of a sewing needle to allow gas to vent, I don't think there's ever been an issue where it was allowing pressure to build up.

I guess it's true you don't need one regardless since there's a water barrier, but I like to use it because it helps keep the water in during those intense fits of bubbling. Plus I just love the sound of the "bubblers" :)