s.g. of Fresh Pressed Cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coldrice

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the average gravity is of fresh pressed apple cider?

Its usually between 1.050 and 1.060 although last year I got fresh juice which was as low as 1.045 and as high as 1.064. You can get it even higher by sweating the apples before pressing

just got some fresh pressed from local orchard, 1.016 with ~2lbs cane sugar mixed in.

Out of curiosity, how much does sugar alter an SG reading? Under the advice of folks on this forum, I'm finally using my hydrometer and not just counting airlock bubbles.

just got some fresh pressed from local orchard, 1.016 with ~2lbs cane sugar mixed in.

Out of curiosity, how much does sugar alter an SG reading? Under the advice of folks on this forum, I'm finally using my hydrometer and not just counting airlock bubbles.

you must be reading your hydrometer wrong bro

I don't believe 1.016 could possibly be correct. Was it 1.116? If the 2 lbs sugar was in a small volume of cider it could get up that high.

There is a chart somewhere showing how sugar added boosts the SG, but I don't have it handy or memorized.

You are correct, it is 1.116 (took reading on the way out the door). It was 2lbs in 5 gallons of fresh cider (heated cider to aid dissolving). So the sugar really alters it quite a bit.

Thats also almost certainly incorrect. Sugar adds 46 pppg, so 46*2/5 = 18.4 points. Unless your apple juice was 1.098, something is wrong.

Back