?'s about brewing first wit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpz28

Reaction score
I have done several extract batches thus far but never a wit. I'm about to embark on that journey though. My major question is using a secondary for a wit is pretty pointless right? My other question is, if the secondary is useless should I just go ahead and bottle it as soon as I've reached my FG, (even if it only takes like 7 days to reach the FG)? I am just used to always doing the 123 method.

The one batch I made, I cooled too soon; took a lot of CO2 bubbling through the keg to get the sulfur taste out. I think yes, you wanna tap it pretty quick. I think I just tapped mine too quick.

Instead of bottling the day you reach FG maybe let it sit three days at FG to be sure it is done? Making way for the folks that make lots of wits...

The last couple wits I have done sat for 2-3 weeks in the primary, then went straight to keg. +1 on the let it sit for a while at your FG to make sure that it IS your FG.

I know I know, "Ask four home brewer's the best way to do something, and you will get five answers." But I currently have a wit in the primary (ten days now), and the guy at my LHBS said to never leave anything on the yeast cake for more than ten days. He said that the yeast will explode, and the insides of the yeast taste bad. Any substance behind this? He is an AG brewer, don't know if that matters.

Go Gators said:
I know I know, "Ask four home brewer's the best way to do something, and you will get five answers." But I currently have a wit in the primary (ten days now), and the guy at my LHBS said to never leave anything on the yeast cake for more than ten days. He said that the yeast will explode, and the insides of the yeast taste bad. Any substance behind this? He is an AG brewer, don't know if that matters.

That is a REALLY simplified way to put it. Of course everyone has there own way of doing things. In my experience (and that of MANY others) a few weeks on the yeast cake wont hurt anything. Much longer than that- rack to secondary. I leave my wits in the primary for 2-3 weeks, then bottle. Very easy, very tasty! :mug:

Go Gators said:

The process he is describing is called autolysis and he is pretty correct on the details, but not on the time frame. I know MANY people on this site keep their beers in the primary for MUCH longer than 10 days without a problem (I have seen somewhere 8 months or more) but I wouldn't recommend keeping all your beers on the trub that long:D

Find a routine that works for you. I agree with quickerNu, I don't keep my beers in a primary for longer than ~3 weeks before moving to a secondary or a keg. I think I have seen 4 weeks is a good max on how long you can typically go with minimum chance of autolysis. The longer it sits on the trub the higher your chances of autolysis are, but 10 days is a little short. In fact, I believe there was a discussion around here somewhere that trub provides essential nutrients for the yeast during those first stages of fermentation.

So in conclusion; RDWHAHB:mug:

Back