S-33

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rubyroo

Reaction score
Okay, so I have done my due diligence and researched this before posting a question that's been answered ad infinitum. I know that this strain is much maligned and most say to avoid it entirely. I'm curious whether it is actually a 'bad' brewing yeast or just very finicky... Like the DuPont saison strain (Wyeast 3724). I remember reading on a website with Denny and one other guy (sorry! Can't remember his name!) that he had some success when he let the DuPont strain open ferment (as in ferment with a foil cap). He theorized that the yeast may display co2 toxicity and that may lead to 'stuck' fermentations...

Sorry for the rambling.

Anyone have any experience with trying 'open fermentation' to clear a stuck fermentation? Am I on to something or out to lunch?

Ive used it a couple of times, and it stopped for a while and then restarted. I didn't open ferment, it just started bubbling.

I don't think this strain adds anything that makes it worth the effort. Munton's or Coopers dry yeast is cheap and they work, if that's what you're after.

I picked up some S-05. I'm just curious if the only reason this strain is so reviled is its touchy nature or if it actually doesn't taste great.

For me it's just not special but took extra effort.

Okay, so I have done my due diligence and researched this before posting a question that's been answered ad infinitum. I know that this strain is much maligned and most say to avoid it entirely. I'm curious whether it is actually a 'bad' brewing yeast or just very finicky... Like the DuPont saison strain (Wyeast 3724). I remember reading on a website with Denny and one other guy (sorry! Can't remember his name!) that he had some success when he let the DuPont strain open ferment (as in ferment with a foil cap). He theorized that the yeast may display co2 toxicity and that may lead to 'stuck' fermentations...

Sorry for the rambling.

Anyone have any experience with trying 'open fermentation' to clear a stuck fermentation? Am I on to something or out to lunch?

There is nothing vaguely "Belgian" about S-33. It is an English yeast. And yes, doing open fermentation with 3724 is the way to go...https://www.experimentalbrew.com/podcast/episode-18-saison-under-pressure

I have heard that it is far from Belgian.. Which is okay. I wonder if it would respond well to open fermentation as well..? I think a peachy character in 05 would be fine for an all wheat beer. Which is what I am about to brew.

I have heard that it is far from Belgian.. Which is okay. I wonder if it would respond well to open fermentation as well..? I think a peachy character in 05 would be fine for an all wheat beer. Which is what I am about to brew.

As far as I've been able to find out, S-33 is from Edme in England.

I get that it isn't a Belgian yeast but on the package it states it can be used in Belgian wheat beers. So I used it in a Belgian blonde that had wheat malt in the recipe.

S33 is a weird yeast. I personally do not care for this yeast after really giving it a good go. Never had an issue with stuck fermentation. Quite the opposite. This yeast is a beast and will chew through your beer pretty fast. If you want a as clean as possible fermentation, keep your fermentation temps in the low 60's. Upper 60's to mid 70's throws off lots of esters. Can get lots of banana out of it. :(

I get that it isn't a Belgian yeast but on the package it states it can be used in Belgian wheat beers. So I used it in a Belgian blonde that had wheat malt in the recipe.

Well, you can use any yeast for any beer....I think what they refer to as a Belgian wheat beer is likely a wit. But results are what count, so if you like the results, great!

I had used this dry but rehydrated yeast in my Belgian blonde ale about 4 weeks ago. When I bottled the FG was 1.010! Gonna harvest this stuff to use again. I like it!

Back