S-33 or S-04?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgrim001

Reaction score
I am making an Oatmeal Stout (attempting an Imperial). Plenty of fermentables - 7.5 lbs- in a recipe which is only 2.5 gallons. What is the general opinion on S-33 and S-04 yeast? Which would you use for this? Looking for a full bodied imperial stout...

S-33 will take the higher alcohol level without a problem; it works beautifully upwards of 7.5 or 8, but will take levels as high as 11.5 For a homebrew system, it might help to use it as you push the bottom end of attenuation for a higher grav beer.

S-04 isn't specially bred for high alcohol like the S-33 is, but I used it on a commercial system for over a year and never had any problems with our IPA that's around 7%. I also like S-04 because it's wicked fast, ferments with clean flavours, and drops out better than any other yeast I've ever used.

Long story short, both yeasts work just fine - try one, and see what happens! You could also brew a double batch, and pitch onto two separate primary fermenters, and compare them for yourself. Have fun!

s-33 is also more estery than o4 may want to account to that.05 or now SF56 even less estery and more malt and dry.s33 is used in many Belgian beers i may try it in a stout someday i tend to not like to much robustness dryness.

Back