S-04

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frozennorth

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I pitched a rehydrated pack of S-04 into my 1.065 ESB yesterday. Placed the carboy in my temp controlled fridge/fermenter at 68 degrees. Just went to check it again and it has risen to 72 degrees. I turned the temp down to 66. Should I throw in some frozen bottles to cool it, or let it go nuts. This thing is more active than I have ever seen. Oh, my first time using S-04.

IMHO, I'd turn it down a lil more if it's rock'n, 64* and you're still in range. Keep an eye on it, don't let it run a muck. us04 is a good yeast

I've used S04 for years for English-y brews. It'll get out of control if allowed.

I have a 110 point stout simmering right now with S04, pitched Sunday evening and it was working hard this morning.
I'm holding the beer at 67°F and it's still rockin' the carboy.

S04 can be a beast...

Cheers!

s04 is a monster. It'll ferment like a beast and flocculate quickly. Keep it cool if you're not looking for esters. Some people say it throws a bready peach flavor at higher temps.

do you have a temp probe on the fermenter and insulated? The fridge should run constantly and have an ambient of 36 or so if the fermenter temp is above set point. I can't think that the wort temp could rise too much if the ambient is that low.

The fridge is controlled to 68 degrees, but the wort was between 70 and 71 24 hours after pitching. So I dropped the fridge temp and that brought the wort down to 68. Yes, I am learning that S-04 is a beast!

Latest posts

Back