S-04

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabresfan44

Reaction score
My recipe calls for 8oz of S-04 yeast, but can I use the entire 11.5oz pack or will there be problems by using too much yeast?

Use the whole thing its made for a 5 gallon batch. Off flavors can arise from not using enough yeast and who wants that

You can get problems from too much yeast, but the whole pack won't be too much yeast for you. Unless your OG is really low. But even then, you should be fine.

Check Jamil's yeast calculator.

Not to state the obvious, or to be an a**, but I think he means 8grams or 11.5grams. Because 8oz or 11.5oz of dry yeast would be alot! My last package of Notty had 11.5gr on the label. Sorry, not trying to offend you! Have fun brewing and welcome to the forums!!!

Not to state the obvious, or to be an a**, but I think he means 8grams or 11.5grams. Because 8oz or 11.5oz of dry yeast would be alot! My last package of Notty had 11.5gr on the label. Sorry, not trying to offend you! Have fun brewing and welcome to the forums!!!

Heh, I didn't catch that - nice proofreading. A half pound of dry yeast would indeed be overpitching!

lol i may be new to all grain but 11.5oz is a bit much. I was looking at the picture and still got that. Lets hope the beer comes out better than my proof-reading.....lol

If your using the S-04 or other dry yeasts you need to rehydrate prior to pitching

I beg to differ on rehydrating. I never have and my beers turn out great. There is a recent thread on here about just sprinkling and going and the fact that by sprinkling on top of your wort and aerating you are essentially rehydrating it then! I suppose there is nothing wrong with rehydrating, just not critical.

There are several threads here about pitching dry or rehydrating first. Like most things on this site, there are divergent opinions. I have not seen a disadvantage to just sprinkling in the yeast dry. Works fine for me. I'm interested in reducing the number of steps and coincident sanitation hassles, not increasing them.

By the way, the instructions printed by Fermentis on the S-04 packets in my refrigerator read "Pitching: sprinkle into wort". I suspect they know their yeast.

I'm a fan of rehydrating b/c I'm a dork like that, but I'm gonna just sprinkle then aerate. thanks for all the helpful posts

Back