S-04 question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoosierbrewer

Reaction score
I have 2 beers in the fermenter. They have been in about 12 and 9 days each. The garage got cold and I left them out there. I brought them in 2 nights ago to warm them back up. The stout built up co2 and blew the bung off. I replaced with bung with airlock. The other beer is in plastic fermenter.

Bubbles have appeared on top of both beers. I assume that the yeast woke back up after a couple cold days.

Both beers are within .002 of my final gravity targets. And i do not expect them to move much. The bubbles I assume are from activity since the bung blew off of one.

The beers smell fruity which I know is partly from the yeast. Will the fruitiness subside some as it ages? Should I leave it warm for a few more days to let yeast clean it up some more? I plan to move them back to cold garage for 2 weeks to help them clear up.

It may just be off gassing,but I would let them both ride a few more days. 14 is the majic number for me.
As for the fruityness,sorry,no help.

Without knowing your temps, it is hard to say for sure. S04 is an all yeast so you need it to be warmer than your garage likely is. Since you are mostly through fermentation, I would definitely bring it inside to 70 degrees for 4-7 days for the heck of it. S04 is supposed to be fruity.

Two important points. The first one, any yeast will hate fluctuations on temps, so if your temps are changing you would have some off-flavors for it. Remember that any yeast need to be happy to produce a great beer!
Second one, is that S-04 need to work on a warm temp, typically close to 68 or 70 degrees. If you get your fermenter in a cold site, your yeast would got dormant and nothing will happened while your yeast is dormant. You need to ensure your fermenter is at any Ale temp to let your yeast consume any sugars and do their job, and later, for conditioning you need to keep the fermenter also at a warm temp to let your yeast consume any by products....
In summary, keep your fermenter close to 68~70 for 2 or 3 weeks to let it ferment and condition.

Latest posts

Back