S-04 or S-05?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatherJack

Reaction score
Hey All,

I'm gonna keep this short. Let's just say someone has learned to make a starter with liquid yeast.

I have back-ups set to move in tomorrow if nothing happens with my non-starter liquid yeast. Here's the beer:

1.25lb 2-row
10oz Crystal 60L
1lb Wheat
1/2oz Chocolate
6lb Extra pale extract
400 Grams extra pale DME (had this lying around, threw it in to get rid of it)

Hops were:

1oz Cascade at 60 minutes

3/4 Willamette, 2oz Kent Golding at 15 minutes

3/4oz Cascade at 5 minutes

Dry hop with 1/4 oz of Willamette and Cascade.

This is the recipe for an IPA. What would you all use, S-04 or S-05? The original yeast called for was Ringwood Ale. After various rousing, I believe it might be dead in the water - er...wort. Tomorrow will be approaching 48 hours and I will take a gravity reading before confirming that nothing is happening.

Thanks again and here's to a lesson learned on the importance of starters!:mug:

I was thinking S-04 would be closer. I was planning on running it in the higher range to let it produce more fruity esters.

I was thinking S-05 would be interesting to see if it lets the hops come through cleaner though...

US-05 makes the hop come through a tiny bit more, but if you want fruity esters, S-04 will certainly be better.

Both will readily make great beer and the differences will be subtle.

Thanks for the input everyone! Hopefully I won't need it. I'm hoping I wake up tomorrow to find that the yeast have awoken, are doing their thing and are plugging away happily. I found another post on here where the brewer said it took a full 45 hours for Ringwood to kick in without a starter. Perhaps I will be lucky. I gave it a good stir this afternoon and a couple of gentle rocks throughout the day so...

Maybe...

Just maybe...

I'll follow up on this tomorrow (Monday here). If nothing happens by said 45 hour mark, back up's going in - at this point it looks like S-04. My OG was 1.067 so I might put two packs in.

Thanks again!

Woke up, no activity from Ringwood.

Measured gravity and it was the same as the OG after 43 hours.

So I sent in S-04.

Thanks again for the input everyone!

Both will be great I think. Used S-04 again after a long break with this yeast for IPA, tasted fine the sample I tried yesterday, a little more” yeasty” compared to US05 and will surely not attenuate as low. But more fruit and sweeter.

Actually i did a split batch with the S-04 & Kölsch and another brew on the side with us05. D... Kölsch went down to 1006 and has developed into a funny kind of bitter and very dry on the tounge IPA, i like i very much. Will use this yeast for an IPA again.

Back