American Porter Ryeteous Rye Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkyl428

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP002
Yeast Starter
1000ml
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 Days starting at 62° and ramping to 70° over 3 days
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
n/a
Tasting Notes
Milk chocolate, spicy rye, very malty!
I have developed a real love for rye in beer, and I also really enjoy a good porter, so I'm not sure why this beer has not come about sooner, but it is here now and that's all that matters. This is my favorite porter, and maybe one of the best beers I have ever made.

Ingredients

3.5lbs Marris Otter
3lbs Munich malt 10L
1.5lbs Rye malt
1lbs Crystal 60L
.75lbs Chocolate Rye
.5lbs Pale Chocolate
.5lbs Black Patent
.5lbs Flaked Rye

Single infusion BIAB mash at 154°F

31g Target 9.8%aa (60min)
1oz Willamette 4.8 %aa (10min)
1oz EKG 5.1%aa (0min)

WLP002

If you enjoy rye and porters, do yourself a favor and brew this, you will love it!

20170307_231728.jpg

This looks awesome, I love rye. I brewed something similar to your recipe but wanted it more malty and better mouth feel, flaked rye and munich malt are both things I planned to add to it for next time. Did 1/2# black patent provide good amount of roastiness? I didn't use any in mine, but i think it would have been nice addition. Is this similar to DuClaw's Rye porter, though I think theirs is a bit stronger?

This looks awesome, I love rye. I brewed something similar to your recipe but wanted it more malty and better mouth feel, flaked rye and munich malt are both things I planned to add to it for next time. Did 1/2# black patent provide good amount of roastiness? I didn't use any in mine, but i think it would have been nice addition. Is this similar to DuClaw's Rye porter, though I think theirs is a bit stronger?

I've never tried Duclaw's Rye Porter this one is plenty roasty though it really hit it's stride at about 3 weeks in the keg. This also came out with a nice thick mouthfeel I really love a nice thick porter and this fits the bill.

Sounds great. I have almost everything needed but will need to sub the Black Patent with CARAFA as we can't get it here in Europe.
What was the color of the pale chocolate?

Think I will try a different yeast strain, maybe WLP005.
I really like the flavour profile of that plus I have some under wort in a mason jar.
Also WLP002 is too finicky for me.

Think I will try a different yeast strain, maybe WLP005.
I really like the flavour profile of that plus I have some under wort in a mason jar.
Also WLP002 is too finicky for me.

WLP002 can definitely be a pain sometimes, WLP005 Would be an awesome choice for this beer!

Back