Rye?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewMeister49

Reaction score
I see a lot of people brewing up Rye beers or having at least some amount of Rye. What flavor does Rye impart? Whether in a large amount or small? Does it have to be step mashed or boiled longer? Or just normal mashing/boil?

The rye imparts a "spicy" flavor, but I would describe it more of a crispness that I love. I usually keep it around 15-20% of my mash and mash/boil as usual. The only thing I would specify is to use some rice hulls in the mash as the rye will get a little gummy and could result in a stuck sparge.

I like to make a Belgian Rye "Pale Ale" as the spiciness of the Belgian yeast pairs really will with some rye and Amarillo. It's one of my favorite beers. Try a Bear Republic Hop Rod Rye or Founder's Red's Rye to get an idea of what you'd be working with and to see if you like the flavor.

I see a lot of people brewing up Rye beers or having at least some amount of Rye. What flavor does Rye impart? Whether in a large amount or small? Does it have to be step mashed or boiled longer? Or just normal mashing/boil?

Rye has this marvelous "spicy" flavor to it that many of us love, but some hate. I happen to love it, and just made a rye IPA today.

I like it best at about 25% of the grainbill. While it's got this nice "spicy" note, it is also extremely viscous- a beer made with 30% or more of rye is quite thick. I had a beer once, made by @whatsleftofyou and I think he said it was either mostly or all rye (? I can't remember) and while I loved the flavor at first, it was pretty much undrinkable after a few sips.

There are some traditional rye beers, like roggenbier, a German rye beer that is traditionally 50% barley/50% combo of wheat and rye or so, but that may be very hard to find commercially. So many brewers make their own.

You can use flaked rye or rye malt, and they have slightly different tastes. Malted rye can self convert, plus can convert some other grains (I think the DP is about 100 lintner) while flaked rye of course cannot.

I love my beers with rye in them. Like Yooper, the sweet spot for rye in. a recipe is 20-25%. In an IPA it is great with some chinook and Centennial hops. I also use it in some of my Saisons. A rye saison is great.

I don't find rye to be spicy at all. It is bready and earthy. But that's not the reason I use it....

It gives huge body and head retention when used for at least 20-25% of the grist. Or try 40-50% and holy cow...... super creamy and milkshaky.

Im going to have to look for one. Just to intriguing to not. Yoopers IPA kind of got me thinking.

For an idea of that rye IPA flavor, try Hop Red Rye (about 18% rye). Sierra Nevada's Ruthless Rye has more of a "bite" but there is a rye flavor in there. I can't think of more rye IPAs off the top of my head, but I'm sure there are more.

For a more traditional roggenbier, the only one I can think of that you can in the US is Paulaner Roggen. I don't know if it's always available, but I saw it in Milwaukee a couple of years ago.

I think I saw a hop red rye at Safeway. Just a single 22. I have to get one. My IPA may turn into a rye'PA if I like it!

For a more traditional roggenbier, the only one I can think of that you can in the US is Paulaner Roggen. I don't know if it's always available, but I saw it in Milwaukee a couple of years ago.

The Bruery, in SoCal, has, I believe, a seasonal Roggenbier. I don't know what their distribution range is. They also had an annual special-edition barrel-aged smoked rye imperial porter.

Had.

Past tense.

I don't think I'll ever quite forgive that... ;/

Put me on the list that loves rye in my beer. I'm in the camp of "adds crisp" instead of "spicey". A great addition to a pale or an IPA.

If you really wonder about the effects of rye malt, take a recipe that has been successful and swap out some of the base barley malt for rye. Fact is that's my MO of brewing, but I have trouble repeating recipes. Not always looking for better I just like to experiment. After all- its just beer and I'm going to drink it.

Rye is really good. I use it fairly frequently at anywhere from ~6% (to add body, head, and malt depth) up to 25%. In addition to what others have said, I find it adds a certain "stickiness" to an IPA, which is not only excellent, but also is reminiscent of some really great commercial IPAs.

I BIAB and don't use rice hulls in my mash. I do, however, expect my mash to take 15-30 minutes longer, as rye does make for a very sticky mash.

I had a beer once, made by @whatsleftofyou and I think he said it was either mostly or all rye (? I can't remember) and while I loved the flavor at first, it was pretty much undrinkable after a few sips.

I don't have my notes in front of me, but if I remember right that beer was 50 or 60% malted rye. Agree to disagree, because I thought that beer was great. Then again I love the incredibly viscous mouthfeel that you get from a lot of rye and I can see why that wouldn't be for everyone.

yeah incredibly viscous upwards of 30% or so is my experience. It gives the mouthfeel of drinking nyquil. Just gross

you can do a mash rest at like 120 or something to minimize the nyquil effect though. I havent tried it yet, but german roggenbier is like almost entirely rye

also, RYE SAISON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't have my notes in front of me, but if I remember right that beer was 50 or 60% malted rye. Agree to disagree, because I thought that beer was great. Then again I love the incredibly viscous mouthfeel that you get from a lot of rye and I can see why that wouldn't be for everyone.

If you remember, I LOVED the flavor. But after about 1/2 a glass, I thought it was too thick. I wish we could keep that wonderful spicy rich flavor, but not have the viscosity to stick around that much. It made it "unquaffable", I guess, for lack of a better explanation.

If you remember, I LOVED the flavor. But after about 1/2 a glass, I thought it was too thick. I wish we could keep that wonderful spicy rich flavor, but not have the viscosity to stick around that much. It made it "unquaffable", I guess, for lack of a better explanation.

Don't get me wrong I'm not taking offense. I loved the mouthfeel but I can see how it would be offputting for many people.

Back