Rye vs Flaked Rye

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Focus

Reaction score
So I want to add a little rye to my stanard Amber recepie just to get an idea of the flavor that it specifically imparts. Are you supposed to use regulay Rye, or flaked and what's the difference?

Thanks,
Focus

I really can't say what the difference is flavor-wise. I would suspect little, if any. Flaked rye is unmalted, pre-gelantized add to the mash and it will dissolve quickly. Malted rye is a malted rye kernel, I believe it is huskless. Both need to be mashed and both become quite sticky, so if using even like 10-15% it might not hurt to add rice hulls to mash to prevent a stuck sparge.

I can say it will dry the finish of the beer out. The finish on my rye pale ale reminds of me of the finish of a beer with a decent amount of wheat, only a little different. Sorry for the vagueness, I haven't used rye a whole lot.

I just brewed my 777 and I had to use rye malt because my LHBS didn't have any flaked. I would also like to know what the difference will be.
I ended up resetting my mill for the rye. It passed right through without getting crushed. I didn't have any problem with a stuck sparge. My grist is 17% rye.

Back