Rye Red IPA Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arnobg

Reaction score
I have yet to brew a beer with rye, so I put this together in hopes of having something good for my first one. This would also be my first time building a "red" beer so I am hoping my specialty malts are in check, looking for advice on that.

I really enjoy Terrapin's Red Rye 100% Mosaic IPA, although I am trying to make something on my own and not clone it.

5.5 Gallons
SRM: 12.2

Mash @ 150-152

7 lb 12 oz 2-Row (64.25%)
2 lb Rye (16.58%)
1.5 lb Munich II (12.44%)
12 oz Crystal 80L (6.22%)
1 oz Chocolate Malt (0.52%)

60 minute boil:

0.75 oz Warrior (60 min)
1 oz Mosaic (Flameout)
1 oz Citra (Flameout)
1 oz Simcoe (Flameout)

Chill to 160-170F immediately and whirlpool for 30 minutes with:

1 oz Mosaic (Whirlpool)
1 oz Citra (Whirlpool)

Ferment with Wyeast 1056 around 65-66F for 14-16 days.

Near end of fermentation:

1 oz Mosaic (dry hop 5 days)
1 oz Citra (dry hop 5 days)

Rack to dry hop keg:

1 oz Mosaic (3-5 days)
1 oz Citra (3-5 days)

Rack to serving keg and crash cool, gas, serve.

Any thoughts or advice on the recipe, specifically grain bill and hop schedule?

Hop schedule looks great to me! Similar to my typical hop schedule. I would change up the grain bill though, take out the crystal and chocolate malt, and instead do .5 lb. of CaraAroma and 2 oz. of Roasted Barley. That should get you a nice red color. I would definitely reduce or remove the Munich if it's CaraMunich, too, as that's a crystal malt. You could replace it with German Munich or Vienna too.

I like it! I love the hops.

Here's my red rye IPA grainbill (I have it on tap right now).
This is a 10.5 gallon batch, so you'd have to cut it in half for a 5 gallon batch:
19 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) 72.2 %
4 lbs Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) 15.2 %
1 lbs Caramel Malt - 80L 6-Row (Briess) 3.8 %
1 lbs Carared (Weyermann) (24.0 SRM) 3.8 %
12.0 oz Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) 2.9 %
8.0 oz Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) 1.9 %
1.0 oz Blackprinz (500.0 SRM) 0.2%

I like blackprinz (or midnight wheat, or sinimar) because it darkens the wort to a nice red without any roasty flavor. I like 8-10% crystal malt in mine, as the rye is "spicy" and and the residual sweetness from the crystal malt balances that out, although this beer is most definitely NOT sweet. The aromatic malt is a stronger Munich malt, for some malt backbone without being too much.

Thanks for you input. The Munich II is German Munich not Caramunich. For adjusting the grain bill I would prefer to use stuff I already have, although I will take your suggestions for future use if I can't make it to my LHBS for this one.

Should I reduce the Munich amount and add a little extra Crystal 80L?

Not including what I obviously have listed in my grain bill I also have the following if it would help swapping anything out to make it better.

Marris Otter (Crisp)
Pale Chocolate (Fawcett)
Victory (Breiss)
Vienna (Weyermann)
CaraMunich I (Weyermann)
CaraMunich II (Weyermann)
Roasted Barley (Crisp)

Thanks for you input. The Munich II is German Munich not Caramunich. For adjusting the grain bill I would prefer to use stuff I already have, although I will take your suggestions for future use if I can't make it to my LHBS for this one.

Should I reduce the Munich amount and add a little extra Crystal 80L?

Not including what I obviously have listed in my grain bill I also have the following if it would help swapping anything out to make it better.

Marris Otter (Crisp)
Pale Chocolate (Fawcett)
Victory (Breiss)
Vienna (Weyermann)
CaraMunich I (Weyermann)
CaraMunich II (Weyermann)
Roasted Barley (Crisp)

From those options, I'd do an MO or Vienna base, take out the Munich, do .5 lb. of crystal, and 2 oz. of roasted barley. I think this will get you the color you want and it would have nice caramel, toffee, and malty notes without being too sweet. That being said, your original recipe would be delicious without any changes!

I like it! I love the hops.

Here's my red rye IPA grainbill (I have it on tap right now).
This is a 10.5 gallon batch, so you'd have to cut it in half for a 5 gallon batch:
19 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) 72.2 %
4 lbs Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) 15.2 %
1 lbs Caramel Malt - 80L 6-Row (Briess) 3.8 %
1 lbs Carared (Weyermann) (24.0 SRM) 3.8 %
12.0 oz Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) 2.9 %
8.0 oz Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) 1.9 %
1.0 oz Blackprinz (500.0 SRM) 0.2%

I like blackprinz (or midnight wheat, or sinimar) because it darkens the wort to a nice red without any roasty flavor. I like 8-10% crystal malt in mine, as the rye is "spicy" and and the residual sweetness from the crystal malt balances that out, although this beer is most definitely NOT sweet. The aromatic malt is a stronger Munich malt, for some malt backbone without being too much.

Next time you pour a pint, mind sharing a photo? I'm interested in seeing the color with this grain bill!

Next time you pour a pint, mind sharing a photo? I'm interested in seeing the color with this grain bill!

It's not a pint (too early in the day even for me!) but I took a photo. For some reason, the photos are upright in my computer and on my phone, but not here. Sorry about that!

IMG_5018[1].jpg

Thanks a lot, looks fantastic enjoy! I'm going to add it to my list of recipe ideas. What hops did you use in your particular recipe?

Thanks a lot, looks fantastic enjoy! I'm going to add it to my list of recipe ideas. What hops did you use in your particular recipe?

The hops schedule:

Again, a 10.5 gallon batch:
1.00 oz Magnum Leaf [16.40 %] - Boil 60.0 min
2.00 oz 7 C's Falconers Flight [10.30 %] - Boil 15.0 min
2.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [15.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min
2.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [12.90 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20 minutes
1.00 oz 7 C's Falconers Flight [10.30 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20 minutes
2.00 oz Amarillo [8.40 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days
2.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [15.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days

Columbus works particularly well with rye, for that 'dank' citrusy note, and the others were hops I like but wanted to use up.

The IBUs are calculated at 75, but it's hard to get an accurate projection with whirlpool hops. It doesn't taste overly bitter, but the bitterness is firm to stand up to the crystal malt and the rye.

I found my go to Red Rye recipe after looking for a Founder's clone after it became unavailable. This thread is old and the final recipe is actually on the 3rd page:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?p=1962053#post1962053

Code:
Calculated for 5.25g @ 75% efficiency.

I'm probably going to mash around 152-153*F…
looking to hit 1.013 FG to match the 6.6% ABV.

GRIST - OG = 1.063, Color = 13 SRM
====================================
8.30# 2-Row (67%)
1.25# Rye Malt (10%)
1.00# carapils (8%)
0.75# Simpsons Dark Crystal (6%)
0.75# Simpsons Medium Crystal (6%)
0.40# Aromatic Malt (3%)

HOPS - 70 IBU total
================================
1.0 oz Perle (8.0% AA) @ 60 min (24 IBU)
1.5 oz Amarillo (9.4% AA) @ 30 min (32 IBU)
1.0 oz Amarillo (9.4% AA) @ 15 min (14 IBU)
2.0 oz Amarillo (9.4% AA) @ flameout
3.0 oz Amarillo (9.4% AA) @ dry-hop for 5-7 days

YEAST
================================
WY1056 American Ale, ferment @ ~63*F
[/QUOTE]

I actually use 2 lbs of Rye and use WLP007 at it is fantastic. Although, next time I brew I'm going to try Yoopers hop schedule with this base cause that sounds amazing, too.

Think Citra, Mosaic, Simcoe would go well together? I just got some free Simcoe that Farmhouse accidentally sent me instead of the Saaz I ordered so I need something to use the Simcoe in.

Think Citra, Mosaic, Simcoe would go well together? I just got some free Simcoe that Farmhouse accidentally sent me instead of the Saaz I ordered so I need something to use the Simcoe in.

That would be an incredible combo. Do it!

Well I don't currently have Mosaic but I do have Galaxy.

Anyone think Citra, Galaxy, Simcoe would be a good fit into this recipe?

Should I stick with 1oz each for every addition or do a different ratio?

Back