rye recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NateKerx

Reaction score
this is what have so far for an american rye recipe, my first from scratch. comments anyone?

wyeast 1010

5.5 lb rye malt
1.5 lb wheat malt
3.5 lb two-row pale
.25 lb flaked rye

.5 ounce cascade 60 min
1 ounce cascade 10 min
.5 ounce cascade 2 min

Thats a whole lotta rye..

Can you use rye as a base malt?? I think something like 10-20% is the norm but I could totally be wrong....

The rye ale in my recipe dropdown is 40% rye, it's sticky as heck so you'll want rice hulls for sure. I would also lose the wheat and up the 2-row. You will want the husks.

rice hulls noted, I can certainly lose the wheat for 2 row. I was also thinking a little bit of oats to boost mouthfeel. bjcp says 50% to 70% malted wheat or rye for the style, but that may go more wheat than rye, are the hop editions ok?

I would skip the oats, I think you'll have enough trouble lautering this without them. ;) Just mash a little higher (say around 154F) and you'll get the mouthfeel you want.

I figured an OG of 1.053 (75% efficiency) in a 19L (5 gallon) batch and your IBU for 5.75% cascades is about 23. That's a little bit high for the style but not by much. The grapefruit and rye combination could be interesting.

Sounds tasty, but, like others have said, that's a lot of rye. The Rye ale in my drop-down is only 15% rye, but the flavor was noticeable. Rice hulls (and a lot of them, like a half-pound or more) are a must with that much rye, unless you enjoy sparging for five hours.

Given the high protein content of rye, it probably won't pour clear, unless you step mash with a good long protein rest. That's not to say you can't use a single infusion. You can, the beer will be fine, and will taste great. It will be a bit hazy, though.

...Given the high protein content of rye, it probably won't pour clear, unless you step mash with a good long protein rest. That's not to say you can't use a single infusion. You can, the beer will be fine, and will taste great. It will be a bit hazy, though.
That's why I included a little bit of roasted barley in mine, just to darken it up so I couldn't see the haze. :D Pointless really but at the time it was important to me for some reason.

after 2.5 hours my patience with sparging does tend to wear a little thin. I do however want this batch to be pretty ryed up. I think maybe i'll cut back a little more on the malted rye, maybe do 40% rye 45% two row and the rest in little bits of flaked rye and crystal. how many pounds of rice hulls are we talking here? i can probably only cram 15 lbs total into my LT

For 40% rye (the flaked rye you could even omit) you will only need a half pound or so of rice hulls. If you pre-soak them you will a) get them clean, they always looked dirty to me b) have them pre-absorb water that doesn't take away from your mash.

I did my first Rye last weekend. I used about 25% flaked rye and didn't have any lautering problems without rice hulls. The sweet wort sample tasted wonderful. Hope the fermented flavor holds up.

This is from "Brewing with Rye" by Rosannah Hayden

Most microbreweries use a 10-20% rye concentration in their recipes. Higher levels of rye can result in both brewing and marketing complications. Rye is a strongly flavored grain, and too much rye in the batch can result in unsold beer. Home brewers, on the other hand, have reported using proportions of rye as high as 50%; the rye really comes out in this concentration, and such a strong brew is neither for the faint of heart nor the beer drinker with ambivalent feelings about the taste of rye.

The rye ale in my recipe dropdown is 40% rye . . . . .
You commented in your pull down recipe that you would up the hops in the future. The Hallertauer and Munich seem to be leaning toward a Traditional Rye which normally have lower IBU. The OP has a low IBU but using Cascade makes it more of and American Rye that would have higher IBU's. It's been almost a year from the time you posted your recipe. Have you tried it again? Any change in the hopping? Results?

Asking because I went on the low side with my Rye and wonder if I'll be regretting it and the OP would probably be interested too.

You commented in your pull down recipe that you would up the hops in the future. The Hallertauer and Munich seem to be leaning toward a Traditional Rye which normally have lower IBU. The OP has a low IBU but using Cascade makes it more of and American Rye that would have higher IBU's. It's been almost a year from the time you posted your recipe. Have you tried it again? Any change in the hopping? Results?

Asking because I went on the low side with my Rye and wonder if I'll be regretting it and the OP would probably be interested too.
My preferences at the time leaned toward a slightly more bitter beer to balance out the munich malt. I've made it several times since then and I've kept the recipe the same since the first one turned out so well.

I may try it in the future with an IBU value in line with the style just to see the difference. For my own tastes I don't think I'd like it quite as much without the same level of bitterness, but that's probably just because I'm used to my current recipe.

Of course now I really want to know so I better find some rye malt so I can try. :D

The OP has a low IBU but using Cascade makes it more of and American Rye that would have higher IBU's.

yeah between my choice of cascade ( I have 2 lbs left in my freezer) and using wyeats 1010, an american rye is definitely the idea behind this one. I would consider pushing the IBU's up a little more, into the 32-38 range, and possibly upping the late hope additions. A ruby color might be nice, red and hazy seems to come to mind. My malt knowledge is just developing, any recommendations to get some color?

Back