Rye Malt Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hastur

Reaction score
So I was considering doing a Rye Pale Ale in the next few days and had a quick question: Do you need to use base malts and a mash in order to convert rye malt? Or can you simply steep it like you would other specialty grains? I'm not really averse to trying a partial mash, but I just wanted to know my options.

Thanks!

Most rye malt ought to self convert, if I'm not mistaken. A little standard base malt wouldn't be a bad idea, though it's probably not altogether necessary. I wouldn't consider rye a "steeping grain," as such. You could try it, I guess, but I'm not sure what you'd get out of it. I've only done two extract based batches in my whole brewing "career," so I missed out on a lot of this common knowledge.

If you are able to do so, I'd turn this into a mini mash. It's probably a good process to be familiar with, at least.

Back