Rye malt extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Steve50

Reaction score
Looking for rye malt extract and I am having a difficult time finding it. Is there a shortage?

RufusBrewer

Reaction score
Williams brewing says they have it.

Sounds like an excuse or opportunity to add a new tool to your brewing skills and do a partial extract mash. Good chance you already own everything you need. Maybe buy a grain bag.

Immocles

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hmmm, possibly. I know I had seen it before on MoreBeer and Northern Brewer. I bought a few jugs of LME off NB a couple summers ago to experiment with, but I dont see it on their site at this time either. Odd.

madscientist451

Reaction score
I've tried the rye malt extract years ago and wasn't happy with the results. My 2cents would be just get some rye malt and a BIAB bag.

RufusBrewer

Reaction score
I think rye is best mashed with some two row. I do not think you could do a mini mash of 100% rye malt. Even if you could, why not include some two any way?

Coastalbrew

Reaction score
I think rye is best mashed with some two row. I do not think you could do a mini mash of 100% rye malt. Even if you could, why not include some two any way?
Rye has the diastatic power to convert itself. I had that same question a while back and posed it on another thread. I then did a mini mash batch and it worked out just fine.

AlexKay

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
In general I like the BIAB mini-mash idea, but one worry is that if you have the grains milled for you, they may seriously under-crush the rye. May be best to find a local store willing to adjust the mill gap for you. Anybody have experience buying pre-crushed rye online?

Reaction score
FWIW, this morning I had to use a search engine to find it (link) on their site. I didn't see it on the extract products page (link)

---------------------------

PCABrewing

Recreational Brewer
Reaction score

Sounds like an excuse or opportunity to add a new tool to your brewing skills and do a partial extract mash. Good chance you already own everything you need. Maybe buy a grain bag.
I second that option, you might be happier with the result too.
NB has the grain in stock, claims they can have it at my door by 03-Dec.

Coastalbrew

Reaction score
In general I like the BIAB mini-mash idea, but one worry is that if you have the grains milled for you, they may seriously under-crush the rye. May be best to find a local store willing to adjust the mill gap for you. Anybody have experience buying pre-crushed rye online?
I buy all my grain and ingredients from Atlanticbrewsupply.com. They offer single or double crush and all grains are sold by the ounce. They have an excellent selection and excellent customer service too.

mashpaddled

Reaction score
I remember there was a big push to make rye extracts a thing a few years ago but it never took off because rye isn't used enough by brewers especially in the haze/pastry era.

I agree a mini-mash is an easy solution to your problem.

CascadesBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I remember there was a big push to make rye extracts a thing a few years ago but it never took off because rye isn't used enough by brewers especially in the haze/pastry era.
Along those lines, I am surprised that nobody makes Oat Extract, at least not that I have found. Seems like there would be a market for stuff like Oatmeal Stouts and Hazies. I am not sure anybody makes Vienna Extract either. I have been curious about trying out some Munich Extract but none of my normal vendors stock it and I mostly see it for sale in 3# LME containers.

I agree that a mini-mash is a good solution to gain access to a wider variety of malts/grains.

CascadesBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Malted Rye would be fine to mash by itself. The spec sheet for Briess lists their Rye Malt with a DP of 105, which is about the same as most base malts. Other forms of Rye (like flaked or torrified) would need a malted grain in the mash.