Rye IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Queequeg

Reaction score
O.K so I putting together a Rye IPA and need some advice on recipe design. I want the rye to be central to the flavour, so getting the classic rye dryness/crispness and "spice" without detracting to much from the fact its still an IPA and not a rye beer.

These are the grains and hops I have at my inventory
5Kg Halcyon Malt
200G Maris Otter
235g Crystal 75
780g Crystal 60
380g Crystal 12
250g Wheat Malt
225g Munich malt
2Kg Rye malt
68g Centential pellet
45g Cascade pellet
96g Summit
50g Magnum
77g Williamette
90g perle
66g EKG
150g Chinook
100g Columbus
100g Simcoe
100g Challenger

I think thats it.

I want to keep it simple. I purchased the rye and halcyon specifically for this beer. I choose halcyon because it a lighter british malt, but it should still be more charcaterful than 2 row or pale malt. Also thronbridge use it to pretty good effect in their IIPA.

I want to keep the grain bill simple to let the hops and rye shine, so I was thinking just the halcyon, some crystal to balance against the rye. Possibly some wheat if needed to aid head.

I would like to hop burst if I can, I was considering simcoe, columbus and Summit for good bit of Cirtas/fruit as well as spice as to get a good contrast and compatability with the rye. Chinook is also a contender. I would also be dry hopping.

I would order the yeast prior to brew day, so the worlds my oyster there. I would probably go for an ESB strain though.

Any thoughts on hop combinations and ratios, hop timmings and rye percentage?

If you haven't already, check out the Recipe database at the top of the page. Do a search for 'Denny Conn's Wry Smile Rye IPA'.
Either brewing it as is, or using as a base to tweak your own version, you can't go wrong. I did it as my summer IPA two years ago and it was fantastic. Time to put it back in my rotation......

A good simple grain bill is good. I use 2-row, about 20% rye, and a small amount. (8oz) of c60.

I really like the combination of Centennial and Chinook in a Rye PA.

WY 1450 is a great choice for yeast. It just seems to go good with a Rye Pa.

Thanks for the help so far. I checked out Denny Rye Smile IPA as suggested and adapted it for my own supplies.

I decided to hopburst with Columbus, Chinook and Simcoe. Chinook will be used exclusively late in the boil for aroma and flavour, Simcoe and Columbus will be used at the 30 and 15 min mark for bittering and flavour.

The ratio of Chinook to Simcoe is roughly 2:1, this is because looking at other threads the suggestion is to use them in this ratio because simcoe can otherwise over power the chinook.

As a starting point the simcoe and Chinook are at a 1:1, although I not sure if a different ratio would benifit the hop profile.

Here is the inital draft of my recipe

4.70Kg Halycon pale ale malt (68%)
1.38Kg Rye Malt (20%)
0.62kg Crystal 60 (9%)
0.21Kg wheat malt (3%) (Just to aid head retention)

28g Columbus pellet AA16.5% @ 30mins 33.1 IBU's
14g Columbus @ 15mins 10.7 IBU's
14g Simcoe leaf AA 9.5% @ 15mins 6.2 IBU's
26g Chinook pellet AA 13.% @ 1min 1.4 IBU's
13g Simcoe @ 1min 0.5 IBU's

Dennys Favourite yeast

26g Chinook Dry hop 5 days
13g Simcoe Dry hop 5 days

Mash at 65 for 1 hour with 250g Oak Husks
Est SG 1.060 Est FG 1.013 Est AVB 6.1%

Thoughts, Suggestions?

Upon reflection I have decided to change the hop bill for this recipe. I think chinook and Columbus have too much over lap in flavours, and I think simcoe and chinook is too much pine (something that I not sure will go with rye). I also want to emphasis the following hop flavours; Flowers, citrus/fruit, spice. Columbus is pretty spicy, so that feels that niche nicely and I am just left with the others.

My thoughts are Centennial for big floral and citrus punch and Summit for fruity/citrus with a touch of additional spice.

I 'm also going lower the crystal slightly because the halcyon is more malty and sweet than us 2-row. This new grain bill and hop schedual also gives me a bitterness ratio of around 8 which is bang on style.

I have also brought the hop times forward to make it more a genuine hopburst.

So here is the new recipe

0.45Kg Halcyon Malt
1.28Kg Rye malt
0.45kg Crystal 60
0.19kg Wheat
28g Columbus @20mins
21g Centennial AA 10.9% @10mins
21g Columbus @10mins
21g Summit AA 15.9 @1min
21g Centennial AA 15.9 @1min
21g Centennial Dry hop 5 days
21g Summit Dry hop 5 days

Mash @65C
Denny Fav. Yeast
Est SG 1.060 Est FG 1.012
Bitterness ratio 0.828

Ok brew day next weekend so I have been doing some playing around with this recipe

Heres what I have so far

4.53Kg Halcyon malt (71%)
1.15kg Rye Malt (18%)
0.51Kg Crystal60 malt (8%)
0.19Kg Wheat (3%)

29g Columbus @20mins
21g Centennial @10mins
21g Columbus @ 10mins
21g Summit @ 1mins
21g Centennial @ 1min
25g Summit Dry Hop 5 days
25g Centennial Dry Hop 5 days

Mash @ 67C
Denny fav.
Est SG 1.60 ESt FG 1.014 (I upped the mash to leave some residual sugar to balance against the rye and big hop bill)
IBUS 50
IBU/SG 0.839
est AVB 6.1
est colour 9.8

Any thoughts?

Latest posts

Back