Rye IPA Stuck Sparge (and cloudy wart)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waitej02

Reaction score
I brewed a Rye IPA last night and had 2 problems: it took forever (3 hrs) to collect the wart and the wart was very cloudy. I put the first 2 gallons back in the lauter tun because of the cloudiness. I ended up with a full 5.5 gals of wart after 3 hrs, but it never ran clear. I took a sample for the OG and put in the fridge and it is clear, with a thick white later in the bottom. Recipe: Briess 2 row 5.5#
Weyermann Ry malt 4.25#
Gambrinus Dark Munich 1.5#

Clicked to post by mistake.
In addition to the grains above, there were .75# each of flaked wheat, white wheat and carapils 13.5# total grain. Mashed with 4 gallons at 152, sparged with 3 gallons at 175. Collected 5.5 gals

Rye is like Wheat... there's no hull, so it's a good idea to add rice hulls to the mash. I added them and still had (minor) problems with my Rye IIPA.

The cloudiness is probably not a big problem. You may extract some flavors you don't want, but overall I'd RDWHAHB at this point!

yeah that's a hefty chunk of rye malt which can lead to stuck sparges. Totalled up with the .75 of wheat it's at about 38% of your grist. I've made rye beers with upwards of 30% and drained off very slowly and never had an issue but next time try adding a pound or so of rice hulls to aid with lautering. Sucks that it took that long, but you'll be fine I'm sure.

Thanks for the help. It is fermenting well and the OG was very good. I am sure that it will be fine. I will try rice hulls. I have also heard that using 6 row vs 2 row helps as well.

Regarding the cloudy, is that protein and why was there so much? Is it temperature related?

Thanks for the help. It is fermenting well and the OG was very good. I am sure that it will be fine. I will try rice hulls. I have also heard that using 6 row vs 2 row helps as well.

Regarding the cloudy, is that protein and why was there so much? Is it temperature related?

6-row has more enzymes per pound than 2-row so it helps with the wheat and rye conversion...it won't help the cloudiness though.

Back