Rye IPA Late Extract Partial Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

delvec28

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to brew a partial mash Rye IPA with about 6 lbs of grain and 6 lbs of bulk LME from Norther Brewer.

I've always added extract for the full 60 minute boil, but I want to try the late extract addition method because I've noticed that 'twang' in my extract beers and I want to remove it as much as possible! For the record, my boils are about 3.5-4 gallons.

Should there be enough sugars extracted during my partial mash to add all 6 lbs of extract with 15 min left in the boil, or should I add some at the beginning?

I'm getting ready to brew a partial mash Rye IPA with about 6 lbs of grain and 6 lbs of bulk LME from Norther Brewer.

I've always added extract for the full 60 minute boil, but I want to try the late extract addition method because I've noticed that 'twang' in my extract beers and I want to remove it as much as possible! For the record, my boils are about 3.5-4 gallons.

Should there be enough sugars extracted during my partial mash to add all 6 lbs of extract with 15 min left in the boil, or should I add some at the beginning?

You can add it at the end, but it'll really slow/stop the boil. When are your hop additions? If you add it before the late hops, and bring it back to a boil, you should be fine. Either that, or add it at flame out and allow it to sit for 5 minutes before beginning the chilling.

You can add it at the end, but it'll really slow/stop the boil. When are your hop additions? If you add it before the late hops, and bring it back to a boil, you should be fine. Either that, or add it at flame out and allow it to sit for 5 minutes before beginning the chilling.

Yea that was my concern. The recipe is below, I sort of fused together a few Rye recipes I found here and elsewhere, and saved it using Hopville's beer calculus tool.

Hop additions are 60, 20, 10 and 1 though, so I was thinking add it before the 20 minute addition, bring to a boil and go from there.

Percent/Pounds/Ounces/Ingredient
48% 6 0 Northern Brewer Gold LME
22% 2 12 Rahr Two-Row
16% 2 0 Munich Malt
8% 1 0 Rye Malt
2% 0 4 Crystal 40L
2% 0 4 Cara-Pils/Dextrine
2% 0 4 Crystal 120L

boil 60 mins 0.5 Centennial
boil 60 mins 0.5 Magnum
boil 20 mins 0.5 Centennial
boil 20 mins 0.5 Mt. Hood
boil 10 mins 0.5 Centennial
boil 10 mins 0.5 Mt. Hood
boil 1 min 0.5 Centennial
boil 1 min 0.5 Mt. Hood

dry hop 1.0 Centennial
dry hop 0.5 Mt. Hood

You may get a bit better hop utilization with less dissolved sugars in solution (for the entire boil). I doubt it'll be significant enough to worry about it, but it is a consideration.

Back