Rye in barleywine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clarksc4

Reaction score
I want to do a partigyle brew, barleywine and an IPA. Any thoughts on adding rye to mash? I think the 'spice' from the rye would complement the residual sugars in a barleywine nicely

Sure, provided it's light on the grain bill. I'm thinking around 10-15% depending on how much rye spice you want in it. Flaked rye will lend to a sweeter, more mellow rye flavor and rye grain will add more spicy rye notes.

I did one last year which was 40% Vienna, 30% malted wheat, 20% malted rye, 10% Golden Naked Oats, and the final 10% comprised of a smattering of medium and dark crystal malts, special B, and black patent to clean up a few leftovers and add complexity for early drinking.

I mashed quite low and long to dry it out as much as possible knowing the adjuncts would give plenty of body. I really enjoyed it and will re-brew again this winter. It had a berry aroma and flavor which I really liked. I didn't note anything as spicy, but that's not surprising with all else there.

So here's a grain bill I've worked out for this partigyle brew
7.5 gallon (2.5 gal + 5 gal)
OG 1.070
16# 2 row
4# rye malt
1# crystal 80L
.5# flaked wheat
.25# chocolate malt
The split will be 1:2 volume and the OG is expected to be 1.105 and 1.053 for the 2.5gal and 5gal respectively.
Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.

Back