rv/sanitary hose. Have flavors?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nathan

Reaction score
Anyone who's using the RV hose or medical grade vinyl sanitary hoses you can buy at Lowe's or Home Depot, do you get any vinyl or hose flavor from it? Is it designed to be flavor free?

Is any hose besides silicon flavor free?

I sniffed them at Lowe's yesterday and the vinyl smell was so intense I decided to hold off figuring it could come through in flavor/aroma later down the line. Do you use them?

Maybe sometime soon I'll pick some up and run it for a good long while before putting it into the brewing use.
I guess I could break down and buy silicon... but that stuff isn't cheap.

Right now I just use a section of thermoplastic rubber from NB with a hose fitting for brew day.

Yeah I bought a RV hose the other day, it smelled up the car while bringing it home. But now after running water through it a few times the smell is gone.

You can use the RV/Marine hoses approved for potable water without worries. Any plastic odors you detect are likely from the outer hose covering and will not contaminate the water. I've been using them for years without issues.

Back