RV/potable water hoses.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hukdizzle

Reaction score
Have any of you found a decent RV/Potable water hose that doesn't seem to impart a vinyl/plastic smell into the water that passes through it?

I am going to attempt to clean my RV hose and see how it turns out but i've used it on probably 15-20 brews so far and it still imparts a slight vinyl/plastic smell into the water. Does anyone know the best way to clean this residue/chemical out of the hose?

Should I use an alkaline cleaner such as oxyclean on it or use acid/vinegar? Maybe both?

Thanks,

-huK

I also pick up that plastic smell/taste even through a short RV hose. I plan to just make up a length of Polyethelyne tubing with a hose fitting on the end. My rig is within a couple feet of the faucet anyway.

the one I use is about 10 years old no taste that I can detect its a Camco brand hose . The Swan potable water hose was so skimpy it kinked every time I used so I just use the one from the RV

I had the same problem and ended up making a hose from PEX tubing.
I got a 100' roll of PEX from Lowes for something like $18 and installed garden hose fitting on each end.

I still smell and taste the water before each brew.

I've been using it for almost a year and so far it's working great.

Here's several tips:

First don't allow the water to sit in the hose. Use only water that passes thur and has not sat in the hose for any period of time.

Don't use a nozzle that could be the culprit.

Don't use hot water or allow the hose to get hot by sitting in the sun.

Let the hose dry out after each use.

Consider another brand I don't have any plasticine odor or taste from my potable water hose.

I would get the Camco brand its made for RV's the others are just food safe like they aren't going to make you sick but may still taste like crap.

Latest posts

Back