Rusting botltle caps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bfgcdub

Reaction score
So I bottled my first batch of beer one week ago. I couldn't wait any longer and popped one open last night. (I know I know... :) anyway, after pouring and drinking (yum) I noticed some red around the neck of the bottle which led me to investigate the cap. The bottom edge of the cap around the fringe, was rusted.

I had soaked my caps in starsan immediately prior to capping. I also rinsed my bottles because I had spilled a little beer in the process of filling and capping.

Is it normal for some rust to form on the cap? All the rust is on the "outside" of the bottle so I'm assuming my beer is safe.

No, it actually isn't normal. But, unless someone corrects me, it's harmless and only on the exterior coating of the caps. I'd chalk it up and treat it exactly the same as if I had found some rust spots on a commercial bottle of beer or sparkling water. I have occasionally found rust on commercial bottles and shrugged it off. (I'm sure someone will notify me if I should have worried about it.)

JimRausch said:
Weird. I do the same, and have never seen any rust. Maybe it's time to switch brands of bottle caps?

This was my thought as well. These caps were the ones that came as part of my Midwest Supplies starter kit. I wonder if the were a cheaper quality than their usual?

woozy said:
How do the other bottles in the batch look?

Well it's been a couple weeks and I've opened a few bottles now and I'm happy to report it was only that first bottle that was rusted. I have no idea why it did, but I'm happy the rest have been fine.

Back