Rusted caps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kobrew

Reaction score
So I pulled out my extra bottle caps to count em before I left for work this morning, I was going to bottle tonight because my brew has been in the secondary for long enough but I realized that some of the bottle caps have rust on them. I think I sanitized too many last time and forgot to dry them after I put them in a bag. Now, is there any way to clean them and use them still? I do not have time to make it to my LHBS any time soon. :(

As long as it's that light dusty kind of rust,& not on the inside of the cap,you might be ok. Otherwise,you'll have to replace them.

I threw mine out when I did the exact same thing. Fortunately for me my LHBS is only 20 min away. Maybe order some online if you can't make it out. It'd be better to have a beer sit a little longer than ruin a batch with rust. I wouldn't risk it personally. My $.02.

That's a bummer, but no way would I use them if they are rusted on the inside. It is possible that it's OK if the entire seal area is clean, but ... If it were my batch, I would leave the beer where it is until I had enough clean caps.

i wouldn't risk it either. real risk, in my mind, is that rust on the underside of the cap might compromise how well it seals. you could end up with flat and/or oxidized beer. if you have no way of getting new caps then go for it (i suspect the risk is low). but if getting 100% dependable new caps is an option i'd hold out for that. the beer can remain in secondary and wait a while longer.

Agreed. I thought as long as it's the light,wispy stuff,& only on the outside,they might be ok. But I'd rather have new ones. Of course,my lhbs is 10 minutes up the highway from me. I can get 144 o2 barrier caps for $3.99.

I transferred to the secondary after two weeks just to get it off the trub. Now it's in my bottling bucket,completely inactive, it has a Blow off tube and all, no chance of it going bad?

Back