Russian River STS Pilsner Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mofoa

Reaction score
Did a Google search and found no results.

If anyone has a recipe close to the real thing and is willing to share...please post.

Thank you!

Did a Google search and found no results.

If anyone has a recipe close to the real thing and is willing to share...please post.

Thank you!
Reviving a dead thread. Has no one in the last 4 years come up with a recipe? OP, what did you use. I'd like to brew this...

Third call! No experience out there? I’ve made a couple of good efforts of PIVO pils from Firestone. By comparison I think STS would have to be in the 50-60 ibu range, use aramis apparently and have a little more malt presence than I have had from 100% weyerman barke pils.

I’ve listened to vinnie talk about the beer. 2 key things. He showcases French Aramis hops in that beer. He also says the dry hop is very small, around .25lb/bbl which would be about .65-.75oz of hops for 5gals

I would imagine to follow a classic German pils malt bill (likely all pils malt) and aim for 33IBUs, likely a 60 minute addition for 20 IBUs, a 30 minute for 10IBUs, then 1oz at whirlpool. 5.3% abv so i would guess a SG of 1.048 and FG of 1.008

Attended a beer tasting with Vinnie a few years ago: 100% weyermann pils, 3 step mash, 5.35% ABV, 50 IBU, soft water, Tradition-Mittelfrueh-Aramis w/ cold DH off yeast. Augustiner lager at 50-52F. He ferments STS in shallow, open fermenters.

Attended a beer tasting with Vinnie a few years ago: 100% weyermann pils, 3 step mash, 5.35% ABV, 50 IBU, soft water, Tradition-Mittelfrueh-Aramis w/ cold DH off yeast. Augustiner lager at 50-52F. He ferments STS in shallow, open fermenters.
What would you plan hop schedule?
I’m looking at something like this (7g batch)
2oz Tradition at 60 ~ 30ibus
2oz mittelfreuh at 20 ~15ibu
1oz aramis at FO
1 oz aramis dry hop.

That sounds pretty close to what I do. I use Tettnang instead of tradition.

My STS inspired pilsener's hop schedule:

• 15 ibu Mittelfreuh at 60
  • 15 ibu Tettnang at 30
  • 5 ibu (this is 15 grams) Aramis at 10

20 minute hopstand at 80c (176f):

• 30 grams (1oz) Mittelfreuh
  • 30 grams (1oz) Aramis

30 gram Aramis dry hop for 2 days. I try to crash out most of the yeast before the dry hop, then bring the temp back to 10c.

nighttrain.jpeg

Back