American Pale Ale Russian River Row 2 Hill 56 Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad to hear this has worked for you. I've been looking for a grain bill to do single hop pale ales and I'm leaning towards this one (mainly since my bulk grains are pilsner and maris otter). The one big change I'm probably going to make is to move the flavor addition from 30 minutes to 15 and do a FWH instead of adding at 90 minutes.

On all of your single hop beers, do you keep the dry hop at 2oz?

I use this grain bill for most, but not all, of my single hop beers that I currently do. It works really well. I've also reduced it to a 60 minute boil, and I could not distinguish anything different from when I used to do it for 90 minutes.

I think you'll be fine moving around the hop additions, but you're going to produce a different beer overall. I took the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it approach," so I stick with the same hop additions, and shoot for about 25 on my first addition (60 mins) and 20 on my second (30 mins), and I've got good results. I always use 28 grams at flame ounce, but I dry hop a little differently than the original recipe. It calls for 56 grams for 10 days, but I do 68 grams for 5 days.

This has all worked out really well for me, so I continue to repeat the procedure, but I encourage you to change the recipe to something you think sounds good and give it a shot.

All my attempts to dry hop in Keg have resulted in a grassy/vegetable flavor unless I pull them out after about 1 week.

I Dryhop for 3days and cold crash.
A lot of research has been done around this and they found once you hit 3 days all extraction is completed.

Hey, that's interesting! Can you point to some of that research? I'd like to give it a read.

You can probably Google Oregon State Universiry and Dry Hopping for some research on this topic.

They were the first of heard of to put out legit research on it. Their findings actually indicated 24hrs of dry hopping released peak aromatic compounds dissolved.

The only gripe I have have about most of these studies is that they are based off fairly light dry hopping rates. I'd be curious to learn more about timing in regards to the heavy (1+ ounce per gallon) dry hopping rates that have become the norm lately

Brewed yesterday. Came in at 1.056. Instead of dry hopping, I opted to do a 30min hop stand at 160. Hydro sample was delicious. Looking forward to enjoying.

Here is a great blog post that pulls together some of the info out there on dry hopping:

http://scottjanish.com/examination-...s-for-achieving-maximum-hop-aroma-and-flavor/

I've made a habit of dry hopping for about 2 days. If it goes longer I don't panic, but at two days with shaking the keg and topping off the pressure every now and then I feel like there's nothing beneficial to going longer.
I'll start to chill and carb at that point.
Some beers are ready sooner....some take a few days to mellow out and loose their green taste.
I've also developed a heavy hand when it comes to dry hopping.
Using at least 8oz has become a norm for any DIPA I make. I do 2.5 gallon batches. I'll use half as the fermentation slows down and the other half in the keg.

I've also developed a heavy hand when it comes to dry hopping.
Using at least 8oz has become a norm for any DIPA I make. I do 2.5 gallon batches. I'll use half as the fermentation slows down and the other half in the keg.
Do you mean 8oz just for dry hopping or is that total for the batch?

Just for dry hopping.
Ok I know I've already derailed the thread here a bit but I must comment further. So doing the simple math, that translates to 16 oz dry hop per 5 gal. batch correct? All I can say is holy wow. "Heavy handed" is right. Gives me a new goal to strive for.

Yeah...I've found after about a week in the fridge they settle out real nice with a huge hop aroma and flavor.

This Row 2 Hill 56 clone was the first beer I ever kegged. I'd like to revisit with my new process...meaning I'd like to try the pressurize and shake method...maybe up the dry hop a bit...certainly not 8oz.
My original go at it seemed a bit lackluster to be a Russian River beer.

Yeah...I've found after about a week in the fridge they settle out real nice with a huge hop aroma and flavor.

This Row 2 Hill 56 clone was the first beer I ever kegged. I'd like to revisit with my new process...meaning I'd like to try the pressurize and shake method...maybe up the dry hop a bit...certainly not 8oz.
My original go at it seemed a bit lackluster to be a Russian River beer.

I see what you mean. I just brewed this recipe for the first time a few weeks ago and it's now carbed and ready in the keg. It did accomplish what I was trying to do - and that was to find a simple one-hop recipe that I could use to evaluate a given hop (in my case Simcoe). But now that I've had a couple glasses and the evaluation is over, I'm thinking about dropping a couple oz of Amarillo or something in the keg just to make it more to my liking. Admittedly I've never had 2H56 (can't get it where I am) so I don't know how mine compares but I can say that APA's usually aren't hoppy enough for me.

Just tried my last batch, very good beer, I will cut the dry hop about 50% on the next one. But I like it!

I see what you mean. I just brewed this recipe for the first time a few weeks ago and it's now carbed and ready in the keg. It did accomplish what I was trying to do - and that was to find a simple one-hop recipe that I could use to evaluate a given hop (in my case Simcoe). But now that I've had a couple glasses and the evaluation is over, I'm thinking about dropping a couple oz of Amarillo or something in the keg just to make it more to my liking. Admittedly I've never had 2H56 (can't get it where I am) so I don't know how mine compares but I can say that APA's usually aren't hoppy enough for me.

So I added 2oz of Citra to the keg for about 5 days (other than that I followed the original recipe exactly using Simcoe). Wow I really like how it turned out - I would say it is very much a session IPA at this point, and easily the best session IPA I've ever had, let alone brewed. I'm thinking about scaling up the grain bill to the IPA range (and also increase the hops accordingly, including adding the Citra dry hop again or maybe Amarillo). Has anyone tried this?

Now that there has been leaks of the Pliny recipe online and we know that Pliny actually uses English Crystal malts (Simpsons Medium) as oppose to American C40, I bet this recipe actually uses Simpsons Crystal Light. I would try replacing the American C15/20 with that or maybe Carastan and knocking back the amount a bit.

What ya guys think?

I'm thinking along similar lines, tomorrow I'm doing my fifth batch. First two I did Simcoe pellets, then Simcoe whole, then Chinook pellets. Tomorrow I'm going with Mosaic and subbing Caravienne for US C20...

Can someone point me to the "leaked" recipe for Pliny? Searching online, all I come across are the old official recipes from Vinnie and lots of clone recipes.

Brewed yesterday. Came in at 1.056. Instead of dry hopping, I opted to do a 30min hop stand at 160. Hydro sample was delicious. Looking forward to enjoying.

Had my first pint yesterday. Wow. Delicious. Will definitely brew again. Only that I'll brew 10 gal instead of 5!

I just brewed two variants of this:

1 using the recipe here, including the 2 Row Pilsner malt

1 using the same recipe, with a 3 C's hop schedule and basic 2 Row

I can say that I prefer the basic 2 Row malt base. The pilsner malt just hits me too harsh, needs something more to balance it out.

I will say I did 60 min Mash/Boils, so maybe that was it - but from my point of view, the malt bill is great with basic 2 Row.

Cheers!

Gonna brew this today, using Magnum for bittering and citra/galaxy dry hop.
The OP says when scalling the base s/b 70/30. Mine comes to 55/33 w/7% C20.
This is the 2nd time brewing this and the first time was really good but I've never had the real thing so nothing to compare to.

Thanks for this recipe. I have brewed this multiple times and this is a perfect base for Simcoe and related hops! In fact this has become a regular on tap and it is always well received- even by those people 'who dont like hops.' It always looks beautiful in the glass with a nice head and lace. IMO it is a perfectly balanced APA, albeit a little on the modern west coast hoppy side. Fantastic stuff!

I have been pretty disappointed with the 2015 Simcoe and Mosiac that I got from Yakima Valley. To my palate, there is a strong onion/garlic aroma and flavor that I find unpleasant / undrinkable. So for the last batch I subbed in #06277 / Nuggetzilla / Denali. It turned out amazing! Denali has this fantastic pineapple and tangerine like citrus flavor, it has a nice dose of resin, but none of that cat piss or onion like flavor. I highly recommend giving it a try.

I have been pretty disappointed with the 2015 Simcoe and Mosiac that I got from Yakima Valley. To my palate, there is a strong onion/garlic aroma and flavor that I find unpleasant / undrinkable.
Interesting, I just brewed this over the holiday and broke open my second 1lb bag (2015 crop) from Nikobrew, I remember thinking I love the smell of a fresh bag of hops. I wonder if they came from a different hops farm as I don't remember any off smell.

I just brewed two variants of this:

1 using the recipe here, including the 2 Row Pilsner malt

1 using the same recipe, with a 3 C's hop schedule and basic 2 Row

I can say that I prefer the basic 2 Row malt base. The pilsner malt just hits me too harsh, needs something more to balance it out.

I will say I did 60 min Mash/Boils, so maybe that was it - but from my point of view, the malt bill is great with basic 2 Row.

Cheers!

Just took 2nd place in the California State Fair Homebrewers competition for Pale Ales with my 3 C's variant of this recipe (2-row instead of pilsner)

Good stuff!

Brewed this sticking to the original grain bill, but did Nugget hops all the way through with a heavy dose in the whirlpool and dry hop (with just a kiss of Cascade). Turned out real nice! The grain bill will definitely be a repeat for me, for sure!

Original recipe calls for Pilsner malt, Belgian I think.
Not specific to this recipe, has anyone used a North American Pilsner malt (Great Western) for this, or any pale, IPA or other hop forward beers?

brewed this last Saturday, everything went well......except I forgot the flameout hop addition.

anyone got any recommendations to try?

Thanks

Would it be,a bad idea to double up the missed flame out addition in the dry hop?

I brewed this one up on the 1st and I had a bit too vigorous boil or didn't use enough water or something and ended up with 5 gallons at 1.061.
Last night I dry hopped it and my gravity was at 1.015. I don't have much experience in timing my dry hops until the end. Do you think 3 days will be long enough to finish down to 1.010?

Back