Russian Imperial Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the oaked aged Yetti from Great Divide. There's also a Norwegian brewer that makes a nice RIS called Nogne O (the bottle has a purple O on it). While I like Stone for hoppy IPAs....I find their stouts and porters just don't have as much character.

Jeez. Everyone talks about North Coast and only mentions a few others. It sounds like we need more examples of this style. I mean imagine if we had an IPA thread. We'd get stone and DFH, but not every post. My experience with big stouts from breweries, is that they always muck with it by oak aging and adding bourbon or some other junk that turns me off. I wish they could just leave a RIS be an RIS.

victory storm king is excellent (and perhaps one of my top 5 all time beers)...i like old rasputin too but a 6 of storm king costs the same as the old rasputin 4 pack (both 9.99)

Bought a 4-pack of Rasputin last night, and cracked one open. Seems to me that it still needed some time to mellow out a bit. Is this usual for RIS stouts to be "young" when bottled?

Not sure if commercially they age their beers sufficiently prior to bottling, or whether they rely on some aging in the bottles too.

North Coast was a sponsor of the 2008 BYO label contest, which I won silver in. I was supposed to recieve an item from them, which they welshed on. In my opinion, that is a lifetime ban, not just because it effected me directly, but because there is no reason this should happen. The head guy for BYO was more than accommodating in trying to work with the brewery, but nothing came of it but several emails between me and the editor. I even reached out to the emails on the North Coast site, which were ignored. I did not need or want anything more than my label in the mag, but this is real bad form in my opinion.

It is a shame too, I really liked several of their products and have good availability to most out here on the east coast.

That was my issue with them. If they do not follow through with the homebrewing community, you can see what kind of people they are.

I never quite understand this, now i understand the principle why you now dont purchase North Coast products, but hear me out. Obviously you like North Coast's products, but your not purchasing (as in 1 person) is not hurting their business, seems like your only punishing yourself by obstaining from something you enjoy?

A bit late to the game but what, no mention of one of the finest examples on the planet? Speedway Stout from Alesmith is easily one of the best. A 12% behemoth from one of the best breweries in the country.

Back