Russian Imperial Stout recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flipadelphia

Reaction score
Hi all - getting married next month and want to brew a RIS every year on or around our anniversary. I have been studying the style and want to see what you all think of this recipe.

5gal
OG: 1.108
IBU: 91
Color: 67

14lbs Maris Otter 60.9%
3.5lbs Munich 15.2%
1.5 lbs roasted barley 5.4%
1lb chocolate malt 4.3%
12 oz C120 3.3%
8oz special B 2.2%
8oz Carafa 1 2.2%
8oz Black Patent 2.2%
1lb flaked oats

2oz Columbus @ 60min
4oz EKG @ 15 min

My main concern is whether or not I am overdoing it on the amount and/or variety on the specialty grains. I want it to be super complex, something like Firestone Walker Parabola.

Thanks all.

Looks pretty good, I wouldn't worry about the number of specialty grains, you have the standard 75% base malt stuff and ~12% roast and the rest is just extra flavors your looking for. I think special B is a must in most stouts and carafa fits in there nice too. It looks good

What yeast are you pitching?

Looks pretty good, I wouldn't worry about the number of specialty grains, you have the standard 75% base malt stuff and ~12% roast and the rest is just extra flavors your looking for. I think special B is a must in most stouts and carafa fits in there nice too. It looks good

What yeast are you pitching?

Thanks. I am not sure yet, something neutral and clean such as W1056 or Denny's 50. Something that can handle the huge ABV.

I would just simplify to not get too much stuff, mill too many grains, etc. For example, you won't be able to tell the carafa between the other heavily roasted malts. You don't need all the body of the oats or Munich either, as you'll have body to boot with that grist. If you want complexity, you could replace the oats for rye or wheat malt, they have more character. I'd also consider replacing some malts with sugar to make it more dry and palatable.

A LOT of the complex flavours of a Russian Imperial Stout come from relatively simple grists. You could pretty much use pale, amber and black malt and get all that bouquet of chocolates, coffee and biscuits. It mainly comes from the sheer amount of malts, alcohol and byproducts of fermentation.

Don't get me wrong, it will be perfectly drinkable, but it could be streamlined and made lighter and more palatable. Also, you are completely ignoring amber and brown malts, that are absolutely cracking in RIS. They provide that smooth roast, sort of a bass note, that canvasses the beer compared to the sharp and strident roast of roast barley and black patent.

I think your recipe looks good. Its pretty close to the %'s I use for my RIS. I use 75.2% Base malts, 14.1% Roasted/Chocolate Malts, 7% Crystal Malts & 3.5% Flaked. It comes out pretty dark, but tastes awesome. The best part is it develops extremely well for years. Brew it!!

Here is last year's vintage:
400379_439262422784286_1939111677_n.jpg

I think your recipe looks good. Its pretty close to the %'s I use for my RIS. I use 75.2% Base malts, 14.1% Roasted/Chocolate Malts, 7% Crystal Malts & 3.5% Flaked. It comes out pretty dark, but tastes awesome. The best part is it develops extremely well for years. Brew it!!

Here is last year's vintage:
400379_439262422784286_1939111677_n.jpg

Oh man...This looks absolutely amazing. If you wouldnt mind, please share the recipe! Or at least what grains and hops you used!:mug:

Back